Need Security for my 128Mb Computer - Help

MissEgypt 21:48 27 Dec 2008

Hi, the subscription I have with my service provider gave me free security for my computer, however they have now upgraded the security to McAfee which needs 256Mb. Unfortunately my computer is old and only has 128Mb therefore I have to provide security myself. Can anybody recommend which security I should buy that my computer has the memory for. I looked at Norton 2009 (it's the only one I have heard of!!) and I think that is too big for the computer. It needs to be good, of course, not expensive and easy peasy to install, I can find the on-off switch but that's as technical as I get. Hope to get a reply!!

Thank you for reading my post.

brundle 22:03 27 Dec 2008

Avast or Antivir; click here free

NOD32 AV, not free; trial - as above
Download; click here

MAT ALAN 22:05 27 Dec 2008

Unfortunately my computer is old and only has 128Mb

of what?

In the 21st century, which is probably where this PC does not belong you may need to upgrade something or the other, to continue running it as you want...

MissEgypt 18:08 15 Jan 2009

I think I have managed to download Anti Vir what not, but do I need to run a scan every couple of weeks or update it in the future? If so any tips on that? Sorry for being so dumb, I just basically want to go on the internet, if my computer breaks at work someone tech can fix it, I don't need to know all this technical stuff!!

Thanks for your help.

User-1229748 19:34 15 Jan 2009

open avira and on the left click administration and then schedular then on the far right you need a tick in both the box's marked activated then you're done :o)

birdface 20:43 15 Jan 2009

Probably better sticking with Windows Firewall.

ashdav 00:56 16 Jan 2009

Can you tell us what operating system you are using (please ignore the sarcastic comment above)

ashdav 00:57 16 Jan 2009

Not you buteman

iscanut 10:14 16 Jan 2009

He means MAT ALAN..I think we can all guess that she means 128Mb memory, especially as she actually mentions memory in the posting ! As ashdav says, no need for sarcasm.

User-1229748 13:22 16 Jan 2009

sorry we need to know which version of windows you are using because we need to sort a firewall out for you,i should have mentioned that in my earlier post.

pcmags 13:27 16 Jan 2009

Probably 98SE or ME as XP runs VERY slowly with 128MB!
Suggest you visit Crucial and check if you can upgrade more RAM.
Crucial System Scanner tool @ click here
And see if you can upgrade your RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?