Need to secure wireless connection

lilythepink 19:11 26 Aug 2008

I need to make my connection secure, as mine is the only connection in the neighbourhood that is open to everyone. I have a dell router. thanks

mgmcc 19:50 26 Aug 2008

Go into the router's configuration pages, by typing its IP address into your web browser and, if prompted, its Username & Password. Within its wireless settings you should find the option to enable WEP or, preferably, WPA encryption.

lilythepink 20:53 26 Aug 2008

I don't have an idea how to get into the routers configuration, as it was configures ages ago. Can you help>

mgmcc 21:33 26 Aug 2008

You can open a router's configuration pages by typing its IP address into your web browser. If you don't know what the address is then, in the PC, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. Look for the *DEFAULT GATEWAY* address and that will be the router's IP address. After typing this address into your web browser (just type the numbers, for example, 192.168.1.1) you may be prompted for a Username and Password. I can't tell you what these are although the default is often "admin" for both.

dawood 17:49 29 Aug 2008

Take a look on this wireless network security article click here to learn more on how to secure your wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?