need a replacement HDD sata connector

awest3 08:17 31 Aug 2010

Did something daft....put a screw on top of the PC (dell inspiron 530s) and it fell through a hole into the case. Whilst attempting to retrieve said screw, which involved removing the twin HDDs I broke the sata plastic connector which sits at the end of the PCB. The hdd is a seagate 500gb.
Anyone know where I might acquire one of these connectors? Googled it but I can only see complete replacement PCB's. PCB is 100466725 REV A DLAJ-4.

gengiscant 11:09 31 Aug 2010

Maybe pop into your local PC repair shop? Worth a try perhaps.

awest3 12:34 31 Aug 2010

yep..I'll do that when I'm next out and about...I've got another drive which I'm not using at the moment so I might try to switch the connector over...I seem accident prone at the moment..so I'll have a look at doing that later..I'm using my laptop in the meanwhile...

and I've not found the screw yet.....

awest3 15:21 01 Sep 2010

Still not found the screw..! and the other connector would require a bit of cosmetic surgery to make it fit....However I did find the bit that broke off the connector..so I've glued it back together ...I'll give it a day to go off then see if it works...I'll replace it as soon as I can get my hands on a new one....or get one off a dead seagate 500gb.....unfortunately all my other spare drives are IDE.......

awest3 12:25 04 Sep 2010

Well it seems to be working ok...glue and tape at the moment holding it together...I'll try and source a new one from Seagate.... Thanks for your replies.

awest3 09:39 08 Sep 2010

Apparentley Seagate do no supply parts for their drives owing to the fact that you may cause damage to either the drive or data and hold them liable...

Last Seagate drive I will buy...

I think the 'local reapir shop' as suggested is the only way I'll get another one...lets hope the glue holds..!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?