Need to replace old system.

jam500 16:03 22 Aug 2007

I currantly run a P4 2.8 cpu with 1gig of ram an 80gig ide hard drive and a 6800 ultra AGP graphics card on a Asrock P4i65g motherboard running XP. I would like to upgrade to Core 2 Duo set up but using as much of the stuff i already have if possible, I know it will be a new motherboard + chip + graphics card job as it will be pcie and the memory would probably need to be DDR 2. So my question would be can i get what i need for around £200, I do play games but nothing to demanding (command and conquer 3 Company of heroes etc) on a 20inch crt monitor, Im not looking for anything fancy just something better and that i can upgrade bit by bit at a later date. If you need any more info then please ask and thanks for your advice in advance.

Stuartli 16:17 22 Aug 2007

Buying a package would probably work out cheaper.

See, for instance:

click here

click here

Stuartli 16:19 22 Aug 2007

Or keep an eye on Scan's bundles offers on its TodayOnly page:

click here

jam500 16:55 22 Aug 2007

Thanks stuartli, I was just looking at the ebay one you linked to just before posting here, Do you think it is any good or am i better off buying from a retailer? My wife will be paying for it and she will not spend her money on anything that she thinks is dodgy :). Also i have found a few cheap graphics cards on ebay for around £35 pounds to get me started, I try and keep up with graphics cards but im not sure which pcie card matchs the 6800 ultra even though it is old it still does the business. Thanks for the links.

umbongo(uk) 17:01 22 Aug 2007

let me get this right you wish to rebuild using as many parts possible yet to the next platform(current platform doing the rounds)
ill do a quick build for you just to see if you think its ok and if it is what your looking for

click here

click here

click here

click here

note this is a quick pricing looking at other site may yield sinilar but less expensive choice ill look more later on if i can find it cheaper

but i need to know if this sounds a fine deal first

total cost £212 with hardly any future upgrading involved

jam500 17:24 22 Aug 2007

Yep thats about right umbongo, As long as it all works together and i can use my current Hard Drive, Even though i would upgrade to a sata one at a later date, Anything must be better than what i have got.

jam500 17:26 22 Aug 2007

Even the E2140 would probably be better than a P4 2.8 :)

Stuartli 17:27 22 Aug 2007

Want to swap wives...:-)

jam500 17:34 22 Aug 2007

stuartli why would you want to? She is very hard work. She is only paying for it as the current pc keeps restarting itself for no apparant reason, I believe it is either a driver issue or a program problem as when im playing games it never does it, But it can restart after just getting to the desktop or after being on for 5 mins or more and just searching the web. She needs the pc for doing word documents and she is getting annoyed with it so i suggested building or buying a new one.

citadel 17:45 22 Aug 2007

asrock has a motherboard with a agp and a pci express slot so you could get a core 2 duo and ddr2 and use your agp card till you had more money to buy a pci express card.

jam500 17:51 22 Aug 2007

citadel, really? any links to it? that would be ideal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?