Need to reinstall Windows?

The Belarussian Mafia 10:49 07 Apr 2007

My lad accidentally put his PC into standby mode. He then tried tapping the keyboard, but nothing happened. He then switched it off using the main off button. Now when we switch it on nothing appears on the screen. You can hear that the PC is on, but the hard disk light does not flicker. My guess is Windows is not loading & has been fried. Anything worth a try other than a full reinstallation?

Win XP Professional
Athlon 1900+
384Ram

VoG II 10:50 07 Apr 2007

Try a repair click here

johndrew 10:51 07 Apr 2007

Do you not even get the BIOS information screens?

The Belarussian Mafia 11:06 07 Apr 2007

Don't think a repair would be an option. This PC was given to my kids by my sister when she finished uni & the XP Professional isn't genuine & has no disks. As I understand it even if we obtained a genuine disk you couldn't do a repair with a different disk than the one that was originally used.

johndrew - no, not even BIOS screens. Initially I thought the screen might have gone, but then I noticed that the HDD light wasn't even flickering during startup.

Kate B 11:29 07 Apr 2007

You can do a repair with a different disk so long as it's the same version of XP - ie home or pro - but you have to use your own licence key. Which might be a problem if it's a dodgy one. But it sounds to me as if the motherboard or the hard drive has a problem.

johndrew 11:43 07 Apr 2007

If you`re not even getting the BIOS screens then the problem may be other than the XP. Perhaps the PSU has failed as there is no HDD light. Is there a power light?

The Belarussian Mafia 13:15 07 Apr 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. The power light is on. Just tried another screen to eliminate that as the problem, but still no BIOS, etc.

My lad now tells me the problems began when he tried to install the Office 2007 trial from the PCAdvisor CD. Apparently it gave him a message about "Can't install because you need a newer version of Windows" (maybe because Windows was dodgy?) Immediately afterwards he tried to shut down & what I originally described then ensued.

thms 14:00 07 Apr 2007

A long shot but try clearing the CMOS.
This may at least let you into the BIOS.

There is usually a jumper that allows you to do this or remove the CMOS battery for a few miutes then replace it.

Remember to unplug pc first though.

The Belarussian Mafia 14:08 07 Apr 2007

thms: Thanks for the suggestion. Willing to try, but could you possibly just indicate what the thinking is behind this?

I have to say this whole situation has baffled me. My original guess was that the PC was switched off while in standby mode, which mucked up Windows.

The Belarussian Mafia 17:01 07 Apr 2007

thms: son of a gun, you did it!

How did that work?

thms 10:59 08 Apr 2007

Glad to see that it worked.
Clearing the BIOS resets it to default settings.

Switching off during a failed install is always likely to throw up unexpected errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone