need to reduce mp3 - file size

I need to reduce the file size on a selection of mp3 (poss mp3pro) in prep for upload to my host,all images etc are squashing niceley but the tunes are huge - using nero 7 with mp3 converter plug in...help..its so sssllloooowwwwww

Gongoozler 07:45 02 Jun 2006

I haven't tried it, but as mp3 is already a lossy compression, I doubt that you can reduce an mp3 file size without further degrading the quality of the music.

dms05 07:58 02 Jun 2006

I asked the same question here in April and had a perfect reply. Take a look click here

hi dms, so what did you go for, theres quite a few - doesnt nero have any tricks

dms05 09:06 02 Jun 2006

Direct link click here

Freddog™ 09:09 02 Jun 2006

Err, I use WMA over MP3 even on my MP3 player as they are smaller files with the same quality

leo49 09:15 02 Jun 2006

You've already got Nero so no need for other programs.

click here

The above Nero link to downloading their Audio tutorial will show you how to re-encode the MP3's to a lower bit-rate.

dms05 10:54 02 Jun 2006

Freddog - WMA are smaller than MP3 but still huge. The link I gave takes you to a program that will convert files down to any size you want (ie 320kbps to 32kbps which is only 10% of the original size). It's also very simple and you don't need to read a tutorial to use it! If you really have to have small files then this is a good way to achieve them.

ok ive tried converting to wma - ive tried a lower bit rate, only chipping at them realy. so dms gonna try it , is it a trial version or full blown

ok, had a go with both, the NCH swith is very easy but i didnt think the results reall differed,i found with nero you can do all this from with in the wav editor - i both cases a bit rate of 96 just about halved the file sizes - sticking with the nero ithink....thanks all for your helpull replys

Hantemucin 11:09 31 Jul 2007

I know a cute program with batch conversion mode, reduces up to 80 %.
It has predefined conversion modes, which helps you to decide how much to reduce the size.

Also converts wav files to reduced MP3 files.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone