NEED FOR RECOVERY DISC OR ADVICE

parkhead 11:08 15 Jan 2008

Hello Wizards,

My friend has a fairly old computer which has gone "to pot". The best idea would be to format the hard drive and start again. The two questions are:

1. Would she able able to purchase a recovery disc somewhere?

2. Or, is there a method to do it by using the key board ( I know my son's computer can be done by switching it on and then belting the hell out of some keys)?

The computer details are:

Packard Bell
Intel Inside Pentium 4
Designed for Microsoft Windows XP
Windows XP Home Edition
NEC Computers

Very many thanks in anticipation of your kind assistance.

Technotiger 11:12 15 Jan 2008

If she has XP, why not run System Restore, back to a date when everything was ok?

Technotiger 11:14 15 Jan 2008

Also, she should have the original XP disc, or if the computer was bought with XP pre-installed there may be a Recovery Partition built-in.

rawprawn 11:14 15 Jan 2008

I think your best alternative would be to Format and reinstall xp completely.
I cannot see that "Belting the hell" out of any computer could be in any way beneficial!

parkhead 11:49 15 Jan 2008

Hi Folks,

Thank you for that. I'm afraid she cannot run system restore as the computer starts with only a blank screen. She doesnt have an XP disc so the suspicion is that it would have been pre-installed. How would one try to format and start again from this situation - it in fact ot is possible at all?

Many thanks.

Technotiger 11:55 15 Jan 2008

She could try starting in Safe mode, by repeatedly pressing F8 during startup. If she can get into safe mode, she may then be able to run System Restore.

keef66 12:16 15 Jan 2008

does the pc have the Windows XP key sticker somewhere on the case?
If so, you can format and reinstall XP from scratch using a borrowed XP disc as long as you enter the key from the pc case at the appropriate time

parkhead 13:26 15 Jan 2008

Thanks Technotiger and keef66. I'll pursue both options.

Kind regards.

dfh 14:25 15 Jan 2008

Hi, if its a Packard Bell could you not look here and see if you can get support/help to restore it back to its factory condition, click here

skidzy 16:05 15 Jan 2008

Try tapping F11 on startup to access the recovery/restore partition.

If this partition exists,you will be given three options,something like;

1) Restore to factory settings (destructive)

2) Repair windows without data loss

3) Recover

You may have to wait for the PB logo to disappear before tapping F11,or as the logo appears.
This may take a couple of attempts to master.

parkhead 16:11 15 Jan 2008

Thanks dfh and skidzy - will explore both. Skidzy, I take I go for 3) Recover (?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?