Need Page to update immediately

User-312386 13:29 01 Jan 2005

Hi all

I design a site for a friend and the site gets updated quite a bit. However, they cant see the changes until they press refresh/cache changes.

Is there a way for the site to change imediately?

I use Front Page 2003

Thanks in advance

Forum Editor 14:17 01 Jan 2005

to alter their Internet Explorer default settings:-

Tools/Internet options/General tab

In the Temporary Internet files section click 'settings' and under 'check for newer versions of stored pages' click on the option: "Every visit to the page".

User-312386 14:25 01 Jan 2005

I would prefer for the page to update at the server end rather than "there end"

I know there is a way, but dont know the script for it.

Most of them are aged FE and to be honest they would not know what to do.

Forum Editor 16:27 01 Jan 2005

at the server end - it's there, waiting to be downloaded by the visitors' browsers. There's nothing you can do to make the latest version appear at the client's end, other than to tell them to refresh their browser - or clear their cache.

Tell them to follow my instructions and all will be well.

Matt45 19:06 01 Jan 2005

If you want a new copy of the page to be loaded every time a visitor visits the page so that it is always the latest copy, then simple add these three META Tags to the top of the page between the <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">

Hope that helps.

Forum Editor 19:23 01 Jan 2005

I deliberately avoided mentioning that method - it's considered by many to be a rather unethical way of treating your visitors - better to allow everyone to cache or not to cache, depending on their personal choice/browser defaults.

It's a perfectly workable solution though, although hardly something I would do simply because a friend/client couldn't be bothered to click the refresh button in the browser to see if updates had been made.

User-312386 20:59 01 Jan 2005

Thats Brilliant, Many thanks

Forum Editor

Why is it "not ethical"?

All i want to do is have the pages refreshed all the time.
Surely the FORUMS work on the same method? Or the pages would not refresh each time a new thread was made.

Thanks again Matt44

LeadingMNMs 21:10 01 Jan 2005

No, these pages do not refresh automatically as you say. The page only refreshes when you hit the refresh button (or F5 etc).

If you didn't refresh the page then you would never see new threads or posts.

AragornUK 21:23 01 Jan 2005

Technically they DO refresh automatically. If you go from one page to another, and back again, any new posts display straight away without any user intervention along the 'refreshing the page' lines.

OK, this is probably more due to a DO While type loop in the scripting loading the info from the database, but the appearance is that the page is refreshed automatically.

I suppose there is no ethical reason not to have the page updated if a) it's a family site and doesn't have outsiders visiting or b) there's some sort of notification that "these pages will be refreshed automatically and are not cached".

Forum Editor 23:35 01 Jan 2005

in Internet Explorer is so that individuals may make choices about when their browser refreshes its cache. There are four different options, and in addition you can limit the size of the cache yourself. It's all about choice, and my personal view is that I would not want to create a site that refreshed a page without the visitor's knowledge - which is why I didn't include the method in my response.

This forum is different - by clicking on a thread or post you are in effect requesting a browswer refresh - which is another thing entirely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?