Need a new Pc!

drewrogers 17:37 24 Mar 2009

Hello not sure where to post this as im new to this. I need a new PC, and have got between £400-£500 to spend. I've been looking at this one but i'm lost as to whether its any good.

click here

Also if anyone can recomend one for me that would help, thanks Drew.

howard64 17:43 24 Mar 2009

I would look on a few sites to see what is available - novatech is pretty good. If you do not have any software that can specifically handle dual or quad cores you should go for the fastest core speed you can afford. My first corfe 2 duo was a 3 GHz but I found it slower running a single prog than my previous single core 3.8GHz. If the processor in that is the total speed but each core is only a fraction of it the pc will be quite slow. I assume each core is 2.33GHZ my core 2 duo is a 3GHZ per core and would be quicker for single tasks.

citadel 17:54 24 Mar 2009

it is good if you don't need a monitor. more and more progams are multi threaded as the makers know the future is multi core.

drewrogers 17:56 24 Mar 2009

Thanks howard64, i think I get it, its so hard to understand it all now and you have made it clearer! Does it seam like a good price, i find it hard to compare different machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?