Need New Key for Windows XP Pro

m800afc 13:52 02 Feb 2007

My hard drive failed, and when I came to reinstall windows xp pro I did not have the product key. I have the OEM genuine disc, Microsoft will not help. How can I get a new key for the install?

medicine hat 13:59 02 Feb 2007

There should be a sticker on the back of your system

ACOLYTE 13:59 02 Feb 2007

The key might be on the back of the pc case?
You could try putting the old Hd back in as slave and seeing if you can accses it and retrive the key?,that is if its not to badly damaged.

medicine hat 14:01 02 Feb 2007

To retrieve the old key check out the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

medicine hat 14:03 02 Feb 2007

Oh, and by the way, OEM is supported by the manufacturer not Microsoft so you could try contacting them

PaulB2005 14:22 02 Feb 2007

Only works if Windows is installed and the key has been entered. It looks like m800afc is in the middle of re-installing. Too late for Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

ACOLYTE 14:30 02 Feb 2007

Never used MJBK but if you can get the old Hd to run as slave then installing belarc Advisor to it should reveal your cd key.

PaulB2005 14:45 02 Feb 2007

Except you can't because it reads it out of the CURRENT registry. You'd have to be logged into the copy of Windows you need to extract the CD Key from.

Done it a few times with Windows 98 by dumping the reg files into a text editor and copying down likely candidates. Worked for Office and the Windows Keys, but not XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?