Need a new HHD for my laptop...help!

MajorFubar 12:11 22 Nov 2008

Hi guys & gals...first post here and I'm after help.

Basically, I have a HP/Compaq NC6120 laptop which I'm fundamentally happy with except that I've begun to outgrow its 60GB hard drive. I use it as a digital audio workstation and need to keep a lot of stuff permanently on the drive (though I back-up regularly to DVDs and an external USB drive).

Firstly, what options do I have in terms of what HDD will physically fit (probably 2.5"?) and what's the maximum storage size this laptop can take? 500GB would be nice...keep me going for a bit lol.

Secondly, how do I go about legally transferring my Windows XP operating system over to the new drive? I have the original Windows discs and the model-specific drivers, but presumably I'd have to re-register Windows when I installed it on a new HDD? Am I likely to run into problems?

Cheers

John

Strawballs 12:18 22 Nov 2008

Don't know about the drive options with googleing but when you get one just re-install using the disc's you have and use the product code from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop (it might be under the battery) then activate online should not be any issues.

bremner 12:19 22 Nov 2008

The 500GB 2.5" hard drives are quite large and I have encountered a number of machines that will physically not take these drives. The 320GB ones seem to fit everything.

As for the Windows issue. You will be able to reactivate (not reregister) after reinstallation either online or by telephone.

Strawballs 12:24 22 Nov 2008

Another way would be to buy a copy of Acronis True Image install it on the machine before changing the drive then take a backup of windows onto a dvd and when you have fitted the new drive you can boot from the Acronis disc and re-install windows from the dvd and it will include all drivers and should not need activation. (and it is a lot quicker)

Pamy 12:28 22 Nov 2008

Why not keep a lot of stuff permanently on another external USB drive?

MajorFubar 13:15 22 Nov 2008

Thanks for your help. I wasn't aware the 2.5" drives were literally different sizes. Hmmm...that complicates it a bit. I'd have thought they'd have standardised that by now, seeing that the 2.5" drives are used instead of 3.5" ones where space is an issue

Pamy, because of some of the software I use it's impractical to keep stuff permanently on external drives. Besides which, even USB2 is not reliably fast enough for my multitrack recording and editing :)

bremner 13:43 22 Nov 2008

I should have been clearer.

Not all 2.5" 500GB drives are bigger just be aware that there can be issues with size and check before you buy.

MajorFubar 13:57 22 Nov 2008

I've had a browse around and there seem to be different kinds of connectors, IDE and SATA. How do I find out what fits my HP NC6120?

MajorFubar 14:14 22 Nov 2008

Right...I used a bit of innitiative and checked out my hard drive's properties. Typing the model number into Google (ST9808211A) tells me I've got a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 80Gb 2.5" ATA100 12.5MS 5400RPM 8Mb hard drive. What would I need to look for in terms of a replacement around 250GB mark which would definitely fit both physically and electrically (the right connectors etc)? Any recommendations?

woodchip 14:20 22 Nov 2008

This should be okay for your Laptop click here

woodchip 14:24 22 Nov 2008

You need Acronis True Image to clone the drive. Use as external USB case for the new drive, then after cloning swap the drives and you will also have a Ex USB drive for backups click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?