need new hard drive

cadena 12:53 04 Feb 2005

I need a new hard drive, as I have upgrade my Ram from 64 to 256, my resources are very low. I have got my details from the Belarc Adviser, so how do I get help on advising which hardrive to get, as you would need to see the information, so how do I send it to you? Help gratefully recieved...

Modo 12:56 04 Feb 2005

What is your current hard drive - make model specifications?

LastChip 13:01 04 Feb 2005

Your "resources are very low" does not necessarily mean you need a new hard drive.

Your hard drive, is simply a repository for files. If you "click" on your hard drive in Windows Explorer, you will be able to see how much free space you have.

Which operating system are you using?

Low resources, are often an indication that you are running far to many background programs. More about that if required later.

FelixTCat 13:13 04 Feb 2005

Presumably this is Win95 or 98 - I din't think much else will run in 64 MByte (Please, not Windows 3.1!!!!)

Micro-Man 13:15 04 Feb 2005

Your posting would suggest your pc is getting on a bit, hence the bios might not recognise a new hard disc without a bios upgrade (assuming one is available for your pc), so you may need to be careful how big you go. If you have not replaced a hard drive before then you may want to think twice about the bios upgrade as, if you mess up, your pc could well be rendered useless!

You would also need to partition and format your new hard drive before you can use it. You can use the fdisk dos command to do this if you're keen or you can use a utility like Partition Magic 8 (I've recently bought a new copy for about £20 through an Amazon reseller).

Micro-Man 13:18 04 Feb 2005

With Win95 you're better off having partitions of less than 2Gb whilst Win98/Me possibly partitions no bigger than 32Gb are safest.

Southernboy 13:22 04 Feb 2005

I use W98SE and have a 120Gb USB HD which appears to run OK.

Am I doing something wrong?

LastChip 15:00 04 Feb 2005

But it does depend upon how old the motherboard is, and more specifically, what the BIOS will support.

dan11 15:48 04 Feb 2005

You say

" I have got my details from the Belarc Adviser, so how do I get help on advising which hardrive to get, as you would need to see the information, so how do I send it to you?"

I don't know how you would do that in belarc. It would be better if you used everest home. click here
This is simmilar to belarc.

Download and open the programme. Click on the report tab at the top of the page and start the wizard. Pick system summary > plain text . Then copy and paste the info into the add new response box at the bottom of this page. click here

cadena 15:42 05 Feb 2005

I have had to delete the last bit as I had too many words...what do you think?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The license associated with the Belarc Advisor product allows for free personal use only. Use on multiple PCs in a corporate, educational, military or government installation is prohibited. See the license agreement for details. The information on this page was created locally on your PC by the Belarc Advisor. Your computer profile was not sent to a web server. Click here for more info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Belarc

PC Management Products

Your Privacy

In page Links:

Installed Hotfixes

Software Licenses

Software Versions

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Pbn computer
Profile Date: 05 February 2005 15:32:59
Advisor Version: 6.1f

Click here for Belarc's PC Management products, for large and small companies.

Operating System System Model
Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998) Packard Bell NEC 00000000000000000000000 P090114001
System Serial Number: D430800032
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
400 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-6159 [i440LX]
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends, Inc. V1.0 02/09/99
Drives Memory Modules c,d
6.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
2.99 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

GoldStar CD-ROM CRD-8322B
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (6.47 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' has 128 MB
Slot '2' has 1 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 6.47 GB 2.99 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users Printers
No details available CAPTURE FAX BVRP on COM2:
Capture fax BVRP Extended on USB001
Lexmark X5100 Series on USB001

Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) RAGE PRO TURBO AGP (English) [Display adapter]
Packard Bell PnP 7480 [Monitor] (16.3"vis, March 1999)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative Gameport Joystick
SB AudioPCI 64V Legacy Device
Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V
Wave Device for Voice Modem
Communications Other Devices
MDP3858V-WE Modem
GlobeSpan USB ADSL WAN Modem
Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter MDP3858 PCI Modem Enumerator
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device
Lexmark X5100 Series
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
WheelMouseIM (PS/2)
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
InkJet Color Printer
Virus Protection
Norton AntiVirus Version 5.00
Virus Definitions Version 07/12/98 Rev 1
Last Disk Scan on 03 January 2005 12:08:07
Realtime File Scanning Off

Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
Internet Explorer
SP1 (SP1)

c. Memory slot contents may not add up to Installed Memory if some memory is not recognized by Windows.
d. Memory slot contents is reported by the motherboard BIOS. Contact system vendor if slot contents are wrong.
e. This may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather than yours.
Copyright 2000-4, Belarc, Inc. All rights reserved.
Legal notice. U.S. Patents 6085229, 5665951 and Patents pending.

LastChip 16:54 05 Feb 2005

First, as I suspected, your low system resources have nothing to do with your hard drive. The drive is small by today's standards, but you have nearly half of the capacity unused, so for you, it is not an issue.

Second. Norton anti-virus is installed, but the last update was 7/12/98! Norton is a very large consumer of system resources and is not well suited to running on a Win 98 platform. Even if it runs OK, your virus definitions are having little or no impact on any modern viruses, so you need to get up to date definitions one way or another and then rescan for possible problems.

You also need to check for unwanted programs auto-starting at start-up. Programmers (bless them) being who they are, all want their programs to start automatically and as a result, you gradually reduce available capacity within the system. Ge rid of all unnecessary start-ups, by going to, Start; Run; and type the command;

msconfig

press OK and it will bring up a window with a number of tabs. The last one (Startup) will show you all the programs that are automatically starting up. Out of all of them, you only actually need, "System Tray" but "Task Monitor"and "Scan Registry" are also useful to keep running. Take a look at the entries and anything you don't need, deselect (un-tick).

Now use your computer for a while, and see if the situation has improved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?