need I buy a new startup from pc world at £40+

Linda Weir 00:56 27 Jan 2008

My computer crashed 10 days after guarantee. a £1000 computer! fortunately I have pc performance insurance at £10 a month. but it lookslike now i have to buy a new startup cd as I cant find the one we at first. Aparently pc world charge around £45 for a special one for my pc.
I'd appreciate any advice with pc's breaking down for no reason thorugh missing files it is expensive. many thanks, linda

STREETWORK 07:13 27 Jan 2008

As the Pc is now out of warrentee it may be better to seal directly with the manufacturer who may be more symphetic to your plight.

Perhaps the crach was not caused by software nd its worth tying to find out if there is another problem, perhaps you could post some detail...

User-1233372 08:59 27 Jan 2008

Hi.
Firstly, PC World are only interested in making you spend money. If they see your Happy to spend £1,000 on one of their PC's, & Take out Insurance Cover on PC Performance, then to me they are taking you for someone with more money then sense. Now, you say your PC Crashed, and I gather the Disc you lost & need that you refer to is either a Original Windows Disc (Which I Hope is what you were given for spending so much on a PC), other wise you'll be reffering to a Recovery Disc, which came with the PC. Usually if the PC had Windows Pre-Installed on it when you Purchased it, then it's more then likely a Recovery Disc you need.
Now, if that's the case, then if you tell me what the Make & Model of your PC is, and what Operating System you had installed on yout PC. IE XP or Vista, then I may be able to point you in the direction of Custom Made Recovery Disc Image Files that will get your PC up and going again.
I Cant ptomise I can find this for you though, but I know I had a problem with my Dell System which had the OS Pre-Installed on it, but did not even come with a Recovery Disc, and after a few hours of searching I came across a site with users that had the same problems and Started a Forum which they uploaded Custom Made Recovery Boot Discs, for specific Makes & Models of PC's for users who did not have access to one.
Like I Say, I cant guarantee that therw will be one available for your Machine, and obviously cant fully guarantee the safety issues of installing a Custom Made Boot Disc if I do come across one, so it's upto you if you want to risk the gamble, or Pay up £45 for something that may possibly work. Get back to me with the info if you want me to look into it further and I'll see what I can do.

Gav

Technotiger 09:19 27 Jan 2008

If you can give more details of the actual 'breakdown', then Members here may well be able to help you get your computer working again, with advice on what you can do yourself.

Longhouse 10:21 27 Jan 2008

This link may help in your quest for a repair when complaining at PCW.

click here

click on the link "your rights when things go wrong" and scroll to the paragraph "getting your goods repaired or replaced" - read the third paragraph.

Suggest you go back to PCW with a copy of this and refer them to the CAB web page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?