need help using ethernet switch

polishdrumsticks 10:08 01 Jun 2009

hi,
i need some help using a 10/100mbps ethernet switch.
basically i have a wired LAN set up at home. all connections are taken on the router downstairs and i want to connect both my pc and nintendo wii to the ethernet wall point in my room.
i bought an ethernet switch as i was told this was the thing to do. i am using straight ethernet cables and connected the switch to the ethernet wall point using the link port on the switch. when i connect the pc to the switch the light comes on on the switch but i cannot access the internet. the wii doesn't work either.
what am i doing wrong?
any help is very much appreciated!

DieSse 10:34 01 Jun 2009

Try not using the link port on the switch.

The link port is usually for concatenating devices and probably needs a crossover cable when doing so.

polishdrumsticks 11:27 01 Jun 2009

thanks but i have already tried that and it doesn't work either. do you think i need to get a crossover cable?

DieSse 13:57 01 Jun 2009

Maybe that's the answer then.

T0SH 14:25 01 Jun 2009

Most modern ethernet switches have built in support for Auto MDI/MDIX function

thereby eliminating the need for crossover cables or uplink ports

Cheers HC

logoff 23:06 01 Jun 2009

Where is your room? Upstairs probably. If so you may need to install a wallplate downstairs and another upstairs connected by a crossover cable.

Cables to and from the wallplates should be normal Cat 5e types I think.

I am just about to do this myself so have looked it up!

Good luck.
V

polishdrumsticks 12:49 02 Jun 2009

already done all of that as well. the connection to my room upstairs works fine, just that presently i have to unplug the wii when i want to use the pc online and vice versa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone