Need help - trying to set up a wireless connection

blake89 21:05 23 Mar 2008

Hi, i am not a computer wiz and am struggling to set up a wireless connection for my two laptops. I am currently using a bt voyager 105 modem to get wired broadband. This has been set up on laptop A which uses windows xp, but not set up on laptop B as it uses Windows vista which doesnt work with this modem i believe.
Anyway, I have bought a netgear range max router and am trying to set it up for both laptops. So far I have tried to connect it, but it says I need to connect the internet to the modem and a wire from the modem to the router, but the bt voyager 105 only allows one port for the internet and another for a usb lead ( which can not be attatched to the netgear router ).

Dont know what I am meant to be doing... buying a new modem?? new wire?? grr

Hope that all makes sence!! Thanks to any help!!

brundle 21:23 23 Mar 2008

What is the model no of the router ? It ought to have an ADSL modem built in, taking the BT kit out of the picture entirely.

blake89 22:53 23 Mar 2008

wnr834b range max next wireless n cable router.
I am pretty sure that is the case, but when i run the disc for installing it, it gets me to run it through the router. PLEASE HELP!!

brundle 23:13 23 Mar 2008

You have the wrong kind of router - that one is for cable/DSL internet - an ethernet cable goes from a cable modem into the router. You need an ADSL modem/router, then the router takes over the duties of your old modem - the phone/ADSL cable plugs straight into it. This is the equivalent I think; click here

blake89 09:37 24 Mar 2008

oh dear, was pretty expensive!! erm, do you know which netgear product it is i need then?

alternatively do you know what i can buy to get this one working??

thanks for your help

brundle 14:14 24 Mar 2008

The one I linked to is the equivalent ADSL model I believe

Strawballs 15:59 24 Mar 2008

click here Any one of these will do.

blake89 14:11 25 Mar 2008

hey, thanks for the help. managed to change it over for the adsl one and its all up and running! cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone