Need help solving low disc space problem.

karlmac 09:38 17 Aug 2014

Hello all,

I have recently been having a lot of issues with my PC slowing down, i have narrowed it down to low disc space being the cause. I dont understand anything about it, my main drive has 500gbs free of 1000. its my smaller driver which has only 300mbs free of 60gbs, no matter how much i delete or move from this drive it still keeps filling up and causing problems.

Please let me know if there are any permanent solutions for something like this, i will be buying a new hard drive soon anyway but as i have plenty of space on my main drive i dont think this will solve anything.

I look forward to hearing from you all. Karlmac

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:07 17 Aug 2014

how are your drives lettered?

Main drive should be C: smaller drive D:?

karlmac 10:17 17 Aug 2014

Hi Fruit Bat,

Yes thats correct, local C is the larger with lots of free space, and D is the smaller with no space.

Karlmac

john bunyan 10:36 17 Aug 2014

For a start I would download EaseUS Partition manager (free), then increase size of D partition. Then look in detail at what is in D Drive. My set up is the reverse; C drive is about 100 Gig with OS and Programme files, and D drive has all my Data. Where do you have your data (My Documents, Photos, music etc?)

john bunyan 10:37 17 Aug 2014

Forgot ling :

easeUS

john bunyan 10:37 17 Aug 2014

Or link, even!

Terry Brown 10:54 17 Aug 2014

Do you have an automatic backup running (Background), as that can cause slow running

Check your restore settings, you only need the last couple of restores.Check the space reserved for restore (by default it is 12% , which on a 1tb drive is approx 120gb, way more than you need

Right click on the Harddrive folder, then right click on your 'C' drive and select properties

Select Disk cleanup, this will safely remove old files no longer required- Suggest use the default setting initially.

After that you will have the option to remove all restore points apart from the last one.

Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 17 Aug 2014

Use CCleaner to clear out junk files and restore points etc.

Then we need to look at why your D drive is filling up.

Agree with JB C: could do with being smaller and D larger if thats where you keep all your data music etc.

karlmac 10:58 17 Aug 2014

Thanks for the help guys, will try these out and let you know if i am successful.

Karlmac

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?