Need help setting up WPA security on router

bv_bv63 06:27 13 May 2007

Hi, I've just changed from WEP security to WPA, but I'm having a little trouble understanding how to set it up, it looks so much more complex than WEP. I've got a D-Link G604T router, and when I go to Wireless Management, I've got 3 options of WPA security.

First one is 802.1x, and wants me to enter 3 things, "Server IP Address", "Port" and "Secret", all in that order. The "Port" option is automatically set to 1812, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to enter at the other 2 boxes.

Second is "PSK Hex", and just wants a "Hex" key to be entered,

Third is "PSK String", and just wants a "String" key entered.

I looked on the internet for explanations as to what all these mean, but couldn't find something relevant.

Can someone please explain to me what all those mean, the Help file from the router doesn't say much?

Thanks

Ashrich 08:02 13 May 2007

Use PSK String , all you need is a good long passphrase or word that you can remember easily , enter that , then use the same word or phrase when logging on .

Ashley

irishrapter 15:20 13 May 2007

Get a nice long passphrase from click here

Go for a 63 random alpha-numeric character passphrase.

jimmer409® 19:37 28 May 2007

i've got the same unit, when i set to wpa-psk-string all okay, but when i bring up my wireless utility it will show my password, seems to me this defeats the whole purpose, replys appreciated

Ashrich 20:39 28 May 2007

Switch over to Windows to manage your wireless adapter , it won't show anything apart from asterisks ,

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone