Need help setting up a wireless network

emineden 16:01 29 Jul 2007

I live in North Cyprus and my internet connection is via a small satelite dish with a radio receiver (I think).

I was thinking of buying the Belkin N cable router to use along with the Belkin Skype phone. Can anyone tell me if this will work ok.

ambra4 23:56 29 Jul 2007

Emineden

This radio receiver (I think) connect to the out door dish and to the Lan card port on the PC???

Let us know the model number of the equipments before the connection to the PC

emineden 03:58 30 Jul 2007

The cable from the dish goes into a small connector. This has 2 connections 1 marked radio (input) 1 marked computer (output). The output cable goes directly into the PC.

The connector does not have any identifying labels

ambra4 11:48 30 Jul 2007

Just as I though you are using a Wireless DSL Broadband Access System

Yes the Belkin N ADSL/Cable Router will work; you just remove the Lan cable from the PC and plug it into the wan port on router.

Plug a second Ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to the Lan card on the PC

You will need to get some information from your ISP to configure the router

The Belkin Wi-Fi phone will also work; it will just be another wireless device on the router wireless system.

ambra4 12:10 30 Jul 2007

Once you install the software for the phone you will have to change the audio setting in Skype from the default device to the Wi-Fi device for you to answer and make calls

You should have no problem if you read the manuals first before plugging the router,
and setting up the Wi-Fi phone, just follow the instructions

ambra4 12:21 30 Jul 2007

You have to setup the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc, you can change the SSID address to any name you want to give the Wireless Network, 452john06 or ezyclip01 etc.

You can also change the Wireless Channel # Default is normally Channel 11

Write it down; as the same SSID name and Channel # must be used on the wireless device when setting it up to access the wireless router.

Do not setup the security system as yet, make sure that you can access the router and browse the Internet first, and make and received calls before you setup the security system.

If you get it wrong the wireless device will not access the wireless router or the Internet

ambra4 12:25 30 Jul 2007

Hope all this information helps, just take your time and read the manuals, and you understand before making any changes

Good Luck any problems let me know

emineden 12:38 30 Jul 2007

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how i get on.

Ashrich 18:23 30 Jul 2007

If it is any help , I also run a similar set up , our village has a satellite transceiver mounter on the top of our village shop , each participating house has a wireless modem/transceiver pointing to the shop, from the modem/transceiver we have a power over ethernet box with an ethernet cable going in to either the PC or router ( whichever you choose ) . These work very well , but , no skype ! it just won't work with the satellite lag .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?