Need help setting up (wireless) broadband???

vanders 14:09 16 Feb 2006

I've just bought a laptop which has wi-fi connectivity, but I do not know the first thing about what I need to do next to set it up.

I keep seeing things about USBs/Modems/Routers, etc and do not know what I need and what I don't need. Can i just call up the provider i want to go with or do i need other equipment? (I currently have a BT phone line).

I would also be greatful for any tips on good providers/packages?

Any help would be greatly received.

BurrWalnut 14:17 16 Feb 2006

Assuming you have broadband and an Ethernet connection on your desktop you will be able to wire the desktop to the router/modem and the laptop will pick it up wirelessly.

You need a something like this click here

vanders 14:35 16 Feb 2006

thanks BurrWalnut but I do not have a desktop, just a laptop!

edmoriarty 14:56 16 Feb 2006

Hello Vanders, I'm in a similar boat... Most broadband providers supply you with a free modem (which is fine for fixed position computers) but you will need a wireless combined modem/router (the router part is what broadcasts the signal to your laptop). Some of the providers will sell you this as an extra, or you can buy them (anything from £40 - £70). Belkin and Netgear seem to be market leaders here.

SarahB 15:32 16 Feb 2006

Please help. I recently signed up for broadband with Tiscali. this is up and running fine, through a Speedtouch 330 router. My problem is wireless connection. I bought a speedtouch 580 router for wireless connection, and have been unable to get a live connection.
My laptop is wifi enabled, and works fine with other wireless networks. It is aware of the Speedtouch wireless, has excellent signal, but comes up with 'limited or no connectivity'. It cannot get TCP/IP address.
When I try to run the cd that came with the router, it goes into 'acquiring network address', then times out and says 'unable to find speedtouch'.
I phoned Speedtouch line, at 50p per minute, spoke to someone for ages, but was unable to make any progress.
I also sent them an email, but as yet have had no response.
Tiscali are unable to offer any support except to provide router settings.
Please help! I just dont know where to start with this.

keewaa 17:44 16 Feb 2006

Sarah .. you need to start your own topic for this (just copy and paste)

Vanders ... You need to get Broadband first.

Secondly you need an adsl wireless router which has a built in adsl modem. Don't get one without a built in Modem and don't get A BT one because they are locked to BT. I would recommend you buy the wireless modem router yourself and not from an ISP.

I would recommend the Belkin F5D7632uk or Netgear DG834G.

When setting up, get it all working with an ethernet cable from laptop to modem router, and only when working start on the wireless bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?