need help removing cd drive

Emperor Penguin 06:06 23 Apr 2009

I have an 8+ years old pc which has recently had problems starting up (in the mornings it will attempt to start and then give up. After a couple of minutes I turn it back on and it comes on in safe mode). I have come to the conclusion that an old cd drive is struggling to get moving and is putting a strain on the system. I tried disconnecting this last night but had a problem with constant hard drive activity after that. I have another cd drive in the machine and I don't need the old one anymore, I just need some assistance.
Thanks in advance.

martjc 06:59 23 Apr 2009

...to do with the startup problem - it would simply fail to show up, but the machine would start anyway. Looks more likely that your hdd is failing. If you can still get into safe mode, try to copy/backup all your data and consider a new HDD, that is if you think such an old machine is worth spending money on.

Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and make the sad decision that our old friends [computers] just die.

Emperor Penguin 07:08 23 Apr 2009

maybe I haven't explained the problem well enough. My hard drive is working fine, I'm, absolutely sure about that. The cd drive is making a lot of noise at start up, I can hear it struggling to get moving. When I disconnected the old cd drive everything came on fine but the problem was that afterwards there was constant low level hd activity which wouldn't be happening if the old drive was still connected. My guess is that it's some unresolved dma situation or something. I just want to reconfigure the pc so that it doesn't expect the old cd drive to still be there.

gazzaho 07:23 23 Apr 2009

If you suspect the CD drive is playing up just disconnect the power plug from the drive and boot, Windows won't register the drive and will continue to boot to the desktop, this site may help with installation/removal of the drive click here.

I have to agree with martjc though in that the HDD failing is the most likely cause for your troubles. Hard drives are reasonably cheap now days buying a new one and re-installing Windows to it might give your old machine a new lease of life.

Emperor Penguin 07:40 23 Apr 2009

Thanks Gazzaho for putting me onto that info. I had the other drive set as slave, hence the constant hd activity when the master was removed. Things seem to be ok now

gazzaho 07:50 23 Apr 2009

Glad you got it sorted Emperor Penguin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?