need help from a network expert

davey 20:36 08 Aug 2004

i have a desktop pc running win xp pro, and a laptop running xp pro, i have successfully set a wireless network and can share the internet connection no problems. I can share the files on my laptop but when i try and access the desktop from the laptop it comes up with a message you may not have permission to access this computer. I have tried everything but just cant get it to work has anyone got any ideas

davey

hillybilly 20:39 08 Aug 2004

Are you logging on to both pc's with the same username and password?

dobbin 20:41 08 Aug 2004

I had this problem and found that the desktop had gone into some sort of power saving mode. Try setting your desktop to 'always on'

davey 21:40 08 Aug 2004

different user names for both pc's and checked power is set on always on

davey

AndySD 21:51 08 Aug 2004

What firewall is on the desktop andhave you looked to check fileshareing is enabled?

hillybilly 22:03 08 Aug 2004

please answer AndySD question and also setup a user account with the same username and password on to your desktop which is the same as the one on your laptop.

davey 22:26 08 Aug 2004

no firewalls and have set up file sharing, will set up same user names and passwords on both machines report back shortly

davey

AndySD 22:51 08 Aug 2004

You will also need to make sure all the pc's are on the same workgroup.

davey 22:59 08 Aug 2004

both pc's on same workgroup MSHOME have just tried setting up same user names on both machines still no joy, am i correct to log on to the desktop with the new user name i created which is same as laptop any other ideas

davey

AndySD 23:06 08 Aug 2004

You have disables windows firewall?? (Network Connections then the Local area network card then properties.)

davey 23:49 08 Aug 2004

yes done all above,i have cheked loads of different settings and compared on both pc's, the only thing i can see is when you go in my comp then control panel, administrative tools then services there is a service called routing and remote access on my laptop this is enabled but on my desktop is disabled. I have tried to enable the service on the desktop but keeps producing a error message 207, could this be anything to do with the problem,

davey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?