Need help with getting a new motherboard

lothlann 19:52 22 May 2008

Hi there,

i just bought Age of Conan and am looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU but i have 2 problems:

1) i know little about motherboards/installing them/and whats is good, same with CPUs

2) I have a nice graphics card (gefore 7600, serves me well) and its quite new but is AGP and dont want to have to get rid of it as im on a budget (im a law student).

Can anyone recommend a good board and CPU bundle, preferably with AGP, im not really sure where to look.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ditch999 19:57 22 May 2008

The purpose of upgrading is to move to new, better and faster technology. Retaing AGP defeats this purpose.
If you were to upgrade mobo from AGP one then the chances are you will need new RAM, CPU and power supply, maybe even a new hard disk. When you add it all together and then budget for an OS it would be nearly as cheap to buy a new base unit.

Technotiger 20:08 22 May 2008

The 7600 is PCI Express - so you can upgrade your mobo and CPU and still keep your 7600.

I recently upgraded my mobo and CPU and retained my GeForce 6600 which I like - having upgraded, I can now use my FSX DeLuxe at Ultra-high settings on all sliders. Anyone with FSX will understand what I mean.

Technotiger 20:11 22 May 2008

I upgraded to ASRock Conroe 1333-D667 R3.0, and a Intel P4 3.00Ghz CPU.

Technotiger 20:12 22 May 2008

Forgot to mention I also doubled my 2Gb RAM (XP Home SP3)

jack 20:13 22 May 2008

Amplifying TechnoTiger more
Go to click here and take a look at the
MoBo/CPU/Processor bundles - they come all assembled ready to go, all you have to do is screw it in and plug it up.

Ditch999 20:35 22 May 2008

Technotiger - A 7600 can be either AGP or PCIe. lothlann has stated that his is AGP.
So circa £200 for a decent bundle then £100 for decent graphics and another £50 for the OS (not to mention power supply and any other connectors or adaptors) and a lot of time and effort. You can buy a base unit for for the same money - £350 click here (infact it has a 8800GTS!!)

GaT7 20:36 22 May 2008

lothlann, what's you're budget?

What's the system requirements (recommended specs) for the game to run comfortably? If it's quite high, then a new PC may well be in required. Upgrading may not be worth it, but let's see how much it's going to be anyway.

If you choose the upgrade path, a few things we need to know to give the best advice...

What's your PSU's make, model & wattage? Will it be powerful enough/have the right connectors?

What RAM do you have: SD-ram / DDR1 / something else? How much do you have?

Is the PC case a mid to large case (i.e. not mATX)?

If it's an *AGP* motherboard & CPU bundle you're after, the only place could be eBay click here.

Technotiger, be aware that the 7600 comes in an AGP version too - as the OP has mentioned. G

cream. 21:22 22 May 2008

click here
click here
click here

Some AGP boards from aria here.

GaT7 21:57 22 May 2008

Well spotted Timmy Toad.

lothlann, the Aria PC Ditch999 posted with a 8800GTS looks very good, but no OS. Buying an OS separately would swell the price to £400 (unless you have an unused OS to install.

Here's a Dell Vostro 200 MT click here with an OS (XP Pro) for £200 delivered.

Add a PCI-E graphics card upgrade like a £50 8600GT click here for example. This card doesn't require extra power from the PSU that I'm aware of, so should be OK.

Total price = £250

You could possibly install your present hard drive in the case for additional space. G

lothlann 23:04 22 May 2008

HDD space is not a problem as i currently have 2 hdd, a 500gb external and my laptop.

I went onto system requirements lab and i can run the game, just.

Started it up today and the menus run but are jumpey, looks like the fps needs a boost so im thinking upgrading the CPU which will require the board as mine is very old. those and the PSU are the only original models.

I cant play the game till its goes live tomorrow so i will check it out and see whats its like a report back. I will also look at the information you asked for and the links you gave. Thanks for all the help, it was fast, alot of info to take in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone