Need help formatting HDD

t_o_m 11:52 22 Jul 2003

Does anybody know how to start up a pc running windows ME in dos? I am trying to format my hard drive. Have tried doing 'format c:' off boot disk but does not work. Please help!

Xevious 12:03 22 Jul 2003

plz explain, why doesn't it work???

ie what errrors does it give?

t_o_m 12:05 22 Jul 2003

it comes up saying 'bad command or file name' so I need a way just to load up dos without windows starting ie: a certain key you have to press to stop windows from starting

Xevious 12:09 22 Jul 2003

have you tried another boot disk?

sounds like your could be corrupt...

Xevious 12:10 22 Jul 2003

or maybe your floppy disk drive...

t_o_m 12:11 22 Jul 2003

I have but I made this boot disk about 15 minutes ago! I am trying to reinstall 98SE as it's more reliable

t_o_m 12:14 22 Jul 2003

the boot disk works. Ive just tried it on ms dos prompt but it won't let me format because I am in windows

Xevious 12:18 22 Jul 2003

huh?

if you boot from the floppy disk, see if it tells you that a RAM drive has been created, if so, note the drive letter, change to that drive, and try format c: from there

(i assume you can boot off the disk and you only get the error when you type in format c: ???)

barrie_g 14:25 22 Jul 2003

you will need to reboot your pc with the boot floppy in your floppy drive,

if this does not work and you still end up in windows you will need to restart your pc again and enter the bios to change your boot order so that your floppy is your first boot device once this is done and you are booting from the floppy you will be able to format your hard drive.

SEASHANTY 16:58 22 Jul 2003

Also lookup this webpage on How To reformat your hard drive - <click here>

raffy 01:22 23 Jul 2003

Before you can format your harddrive you must change from A: to C:

then C:Scandisk after the scandisk checking you HDD finish exite scandisk and type C: format C:

Good Luck !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?