Need help to format hard drive

cara2410 10:12 01 Apr 2003

Installed dodgy xp which I cant uninstall. Have been told that I need to format/reformat??? my hard drive but haven't a clue how to do this. Can anyone give me a step by step guide please.

MAJ 10:26 01 Apr 2003

If you have a proper XP CD, boot from that and follow the instructions. If you don't have the proper XP CD, boot from a Win98se floppy disk, choose "Start without CD-ROM support" and at the A:\> prompt type "format c" (without the quote marks).

cara2410 11:39 01 Apr 2003

Was a copy of XP. What is Win98se? Can I get this online? I have an original Windows 2000 CD, will this be any help? When you say "boot from" what do you mean? I know, I know that's a lot of questions but I haven't got much of a clue. Thanks

MAJ 12:50 01 Apr 2003

Sorry for the delay, cara2410, I got caught up in a little work.

Download a Win98SE bootdisk from click here (Windows 98 SE OEM) Save it to a floppy disk, then put that floppy disk into your floppy drive and restart your computer. The floppy will load a few files, do a few checks, then you will be left with, what is called, a command prompt, on your screen. It will look like this: A:\> now type "format c" (without the quote marks) and your hard drive will be formatted. Remember though, you will loose everything on the hard drive, so if you have any files on there you want to keep, back them up now.

cara2410 10:46 02 Apr 2003

Followed what you suggested but Windows just started up like normal. Don't know how to get to A:\> Hope I'm not distracting you from work too much.

MAJ 11:00 02 Apr 2003

No you aren't, cara2410, I got that sorted. You need to set your BIOS to boot from the floppy disk. To do that, reboot your PC and hold down the Delete key as it's starting, it will tell you on the screen how to "Enter Setup" if that way doesn't work for you. When the Setup (BIOS) screen appears, look for the BIOS Features Setup page and select that, you'll have to use the arrow keys to move around in here as your mouse will not work. In there you should see an entry saying something like "Boot Sequence", select that. If "A" is not first in the sequence, change it so that "A" is first, using the PageUp and PageDown keys on your keyboard. When you have done that, exit the BIOS, you will get the option to save the changes, choose YES. Restart your PC with the floppy in and you should now get the A:\> prompt. Make sure not to change anything else when you're in the BIOS.

MAJ 11:04 02 Apr 2003

Hang on cara2410, I've just noticed you said you have a Win2000 CD. If you have you should be able to format using that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?