Need Help Building a Gaming PC (first time)

Yankeesfan 03:07 09 Oct 2006

My current PC is not very good for gaming, it can barely play World of Warcraft, and I am saving up to buy a nice gaming PC but a friend told me dont waste your money, you can save hundreds by building your own. My only problem is I have absolutely no idea how. Can someone please give me some help? I need a full walk-through on what to buy and how to install it. Im looking to be able to play HL2, CoD2, Doom 3, Oblivion and games that havnt been released yet that require a high-end computer. So if anyone knows a good website with some info or if you know enough please help me out. Thanks in advance!!

Yankeesfan 03:22 09 Oct 2006

I would just like to add that I would like the graphics to be good (playable at 1280x1024 since that is what my monitor supports) since Im used to playing my Xbox 360 which has great graphics Id like to be able to stay in high-def and not go back to bad graphics. I dont mind spending a few more bucks for that.

vinnyT 13:36 09 Oct 2006

Hi, first things first, there was a time (when i started building years ago) that you could save a lot of money by self-building, however, not anymore, the big Co. (dell, mesh, eversham, etc.) can order parts in 1000s and so get large discounts that are passed to customers.

These days the biggest advantage to building your pc is that you choose the parts and know exactly what has gone into the pc. Remeber that you will have to budget for a Operating Sytem as well.

Anyway, lets say I was choosing parts to build my own pc...

1) choose cpu, at the moment the only choice for a brand new pc should be the intel Core2Duo brand, I would choose the E6600 as it's a good comp between £/muscle and is also a good overclocker.

2) mobo for the above would be the Asus P5B deluxe wifi ap (to take advantage of the cpus o/c)

3) DDR2 RAM, here I would get A-Data Vitessa ddr2 1000+

4) Graphics, as the above mobo only has 1 pci-e slot, you would think sli is a none starter, but the geforce 7950 gx2 cards have 2 gpus, so you get sli in one slot. I would go for the xfx 7950 m520 extreme edition.

5) Hard disk, Hitachi deskstar range is v.good.

6) Case -antec P180

7) PSU, Seasonic s12-600 plenty of juice.

8) CPU cooler

9) Optical drives DVD-RW + DVD

10) Soundcard, the onboard sound on the mobo is very good (HD), but the creative soundblaster x-fi range is excellent (even I can tell the diff and I have hearing probs).

11) Monitor, this is very much down to personal choice, I like/have the samsung 244t.

12) Keyboard/mouse

Those're the main bits you will have to think about, if got all that I reccommended you would not see much change out of £1800 (the monitor alone is over £700), a you can see, it's not as cheap to build your own (though admitedly I've chosen high-end kit), but you would get alot of satifaction and knowledge.

Actually building the pc is not too differcult, that is providing all that you buy works out of the box.

Hope this helps.

PS am logging off now, so please excuse me if I don't answer any ??? quickly.

vinnyT 13:36 09 Oct 2006

Hi, first things first, there was a time (when i started building years ago) that you could save a lot of money by self-building, however, not anymore, the big Co. (dell, mesh, eversham, etc.) can order parts in 1000s and so get large discounts that are passed to customers.

These days the biggest advantage to building your pc is that you choose the parts and know exactly what has gone into the pc. Remeber that you will have to budget for a Operating Sytem as well.

Anyway, lets say I was choosing parts to build my own pc...

1) choose cpu, at the moment the only choice for a brand new pc should be the intel Core2Duo brand, I would choose the E6600 as it's a good comp between £/muscle and is also a good overclocker.

2) mobo for the above would be the Asus P5B deluxe wifi ap (to take advantage of the cpus o/c)

3) DDR2 RAM, here I would get A-Data Vitessa ddr2 1000+

4) Graphics, as the above mobo only has 1 pci-e slot, you would think sli is a none starter, but the geforce 7950 gx2 cards have 2 gpus, so you get sli in one slot. I would go for the xfx 7950 m520 extreme edition.

5) Hard disk, Hitachi deskstar range is v.good.

6) Case -antec P180

7) PSU, Seasonic s12-600 plenty of juice.

8) CPU cooler

9) Optical drives DVD-RW + DVD

10) Soundcard, the onboard sound on the mobo is very good (HD), but the creative soundblaster x-fi range is excellent (even I can tell the diff and I have hearing probs).

11) Monitor, this is very much down to personal choice, I like/have the samsung 244t.

12) Keyboard/mouse

Those're the main bits you will have to think about, if got all that I reccommended you would not see much change out of £1800 (the monitor alone is over £700), a you can see, it's not as cheap to build your own (though admitedly I've chosen high-end kit), but you would get alot of satifaction and knowledge.

Actually building the pc is not too differcult, that is providing all that you buy works out of the box.

Hope this helps.

PS am logging off now, so please excuse me if I don't answer any ??? quickly.

vinnyT 13:40 09 Oct 2006

Sorry double post, site slow.

citadel 19:15 09 Oct 2006

dx10 graphics cards are out in november so it is not worth getting an expensive dx9 card.

vinnyT 12:53 10 Oct 2006

citadel very true, or at least worth waiting till they come out and todays top cards come down in price.

Yankeesfan 20:13 13 Oct 2006

Thanks vinny, I found all of those at Newegg.com and it looks to be all good. And since Im not building untill Dec.-Jan. Ill probably buy a DX10 card.

vinnyT 12:58 16 Oct 2006

Welcome, you know where to come if you need any more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017