need help big time/in deep do-do's/xp home to pro

frior-one 14:27 21 Jan 2006

upgrading dell with xp home sp2 to xp pro xp2 via m/soft upgrade disc.
was going well until install is at install drivers stage. it put up this error-
"CM18738/C3DX PCI audio Device has not passed windows logo testing to verify compatability."
install then grinds to a halt. offers cancel option but keyboard and mouse locked up.(num lock light goes out so guess driver not installed?) only thing to do was restart. machine now "stuck" in upgrade mode. wont boot to safe mode. cant get back to xp home. f3 option to quit install does not work, install resumes when machine re-boots and then locks out again at same point. help please !!!

Klof Ron 14:33 21 Jan 2006

Can you boot from the XP Home CD, and do a repair installation from there?

frior-one 16:28 21 Jan 2006

xp home pre installed on dell machine, all i have is recovery disk. i dont think i can boot from it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 21 Jan 2006

Reboot with recovery disk in drive and press either F10 F11 or F12 these are usually the keys to reset the machine to factory settings.

daxian 19:13 21 Jan 2006

hi all ....
sounds to me like you have usb keyboard and mouse ....if so do you have access to a ps2 keyboard,that you can use while you complete the upgrade.....

frior-one 13:08 22 Jan 2006

daxian - i did try that. my keyboad and mouse are usb but i do have a usb/ps2 converter. i tried this on the mouse and re-booted but the mouse did not want to work at all.
Fruit bat - that was another thing i have explored. i re-booted wih the dell recovery disk and started down the re-install road. i am a bit concered that my pc was patched up to date with xp sp2 and all current security releases and that the recovery disk may conflict? i followed the routine to as far as installing. i stopped when it asked me where to put it on the drive. my drive is not partitioned. but it showed an area of approx 32mb and then the c: drive approx 30GB

frior-one 20:45 23 Jan 2006

the problem was the usb keyboard. i plugged in a ps2 keypoard and was able to answer the question about the audio device. the install then went on correctly. during the final stages office did pop up and wanted to install something but i clicked cancel and the upgrade continued correctly.
one happy bunny this end. many thanks for all the input. this site has once again got me out of a hole.
S!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone