Need free to receive text message facility

CLONNEN 17:54 11 Dec 2009

Abbey bank are now demanding that all their online banking customers have a One Time Passcode sent via text message to a mobile phone whenever you setup a new payee.

Is there any free way of having it sent to my PC instead as I do not own a mobile. Any freeware out there which can convert it to an email or something?

Or is there any way my BT landline can convert it to a voicemail?

Or do I have to purchase a cheap PAYG mobile? Are text messages free to receive on mobiles?

bremner 17:57 11 Dec 2009

Try BT Text click here

PalaeoBill 18:01 11 Dec 2009

I have an Orange PAYG mobile, incoming texts are free. A ten pound top up has no time limit on it and lasts me months.
There are some cracking deals out there, especially with SIM only which often come with more calls/texts credit than the SIM costs. If you know someone who has just upgraded their handset beg for their cast off and its a job done.

Technotiger 18:03 11 Dec 2009

Why don't you tell the Bank that you do not have a mobile phone?

If they are making a demand, then the onus should be on them to make it possible for you to comply.

GaT7 18:09 11 Dec 2009

"Why don't you tell the Bank that you do not have a mobile phone?" - apparently if one doesn't register for this scheme (no mobile phone?) one cannot use their online service.