Need Format Tips FAST please

Madboy 08:58 10 Apr 2004

Decided to do a spring clean this weekend and format my messed up pc. I printed some instruction guides of the net, but they arnt enough.

Ive backed everything up that i need. What i need to know is maybe a list of commands i can use at the command prompt.

For example if you load Windows from a bootdisk, it eventually comes to

A:>

in which i dont know how to proceed to load. I tried:

A:>run
A:>start
A:>boot

but nothing, im aware of FDISK. But id appreciate a list of all avaliable commands please - incase i cant get windows to load.

Cheers

User-312386 09:01 10 Apr 2004

what operating sysstem are you going to install?

VoG II 09:02 10 Apr 2004

Which version of Windows?

Madboy 09:02 10 Apr 2004

Windows 98 SE

VoG II 09:04 10 Apr 2004
  Madboy 09:09 10 Apr 2004

I actually printed the first article from Link1, dont really understand link2. I got about 30 pages of help here, and im still bamboozled.

I have also lost my VGA Adapter driver CD(i think thats what it is) to display Windows in higher color than 256, so could i download stuff for it. Or put existing computer driver files on CD?

Madboy 09:14 10 Apr 2004

can i talk to someone through AIM, it will be quicker

User-312386 09:15 10 Apr 2004

Specifying the Windows Standard VGA Driver in Windows 98

To specify the Windows Standard VGA driver in Windows 98:
1. Right-click the desktop, and then choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
3. Select the Adapter tab, make a note of the Adapter Type the computer is currently using, and then click Change.
4. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.
5. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.
6. Select Show All Hardware.
7. Select Standard Display Types from the top of the Manufacturers scroll box.
8. Select Standard Display Adapter (VGA) from the Models scroll box, and then click Next.

Note: Standard Display Adapter (VGA) video drivers display only 16 colors. Switch to Super VGA for applications that require a minimum of 256 colors (e.g., Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere).

9. Click Yes to confirm that you want to use this driver.
10. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.
11. Click the Monitor tab, make a note of the Monitor Type you're currently using, and then click Change.
12. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.
13. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.
14. Select Show All Hardware.
15. Select Standard Monitor Types from the top of the Manufacturers scroll box.
16. Select Standard VGA 640x480 from the Models scroll box, and then click Next.
17. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.

To revert to the previous video driver, select the Adapter Type and Monitor Type you noted in steps 3 and 11.

User-312386 09:16 10 Apr 2004
  Madboy 09:19 10 Apr 2004

Anyway, back to the command prompts...

User-312386 09:23 10 Apr 2004

as you are new to this here is an easier step by step guide with pictures click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?