need to find out if i have pci or pci-e slots on p

moldoac 21:19 14 Jan 2007

can anyone help me (please) ive just dought a new graphics card a radeon x1950 when i put it in my new quite old pc

System Model Advent Series
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2789 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 12/02/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name ANDREWSPC\Andrew
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 948.68 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.11 GB
when i start to stress the card playing some games my monitor swiches off on signal the pcs still running but i cant see whats happening
any ideas i think the graphics slot may be pci but read that it would be white if this was the case its gray so do i have a pci-e slot or not?

Totally-braindead 21:24 14 Jan 2007

PCI and PCI Express slots are different sizes. You cannot fit a PCIE graphics card in a PCI slot unless you went at it with a hacksaw and if you did it wouldn't work.
So since you've already fitted it you do have PCI Express.
Check to see what power supply you have as this is most likely to be the problem. It will mention on a label on it the wattage.

skidzy 21:27 14 Jan 2007

As per Totally-braindead and also check you have enough cooling,it may be you need an extra case fan.

You could run Speedfan to give you some idea of the temperture click here

moldoac 21:32 14 Jan 2007

ok first of all THANK U read so many forums thatid lost aload of money ofn the new card have just bought a new psu just incass that was the problem now have a 580w psu the card works doing mundane thinks like write this but try to get it to play oblivion (the whole reason i bought it poor i know but there it is)and just as the game about to start the screen go off? ti even stops when i played balders gate a game from 2000 and had worked on the pc before and guess?

Totally-braindead 21:40 14 Jan 2007

Thats different then. Did you make sure to connect the extra power connector? (I'm pretty sure it will have one). Are you sure you installed the drivers correctly? Have you tried the latest ATI drivers to see if that makes a difference? click here

[email protected] 21:47 14 Jan 2007

if its pci express, and you have replaced psu, did you plug in the small 4 pin power lead to the motherboard near your card? i nearly forgot this

moldoac 21:49 14 Jan 2007

down loaded new drivers 10/01/07 think thats the newest they had and think i conectied the right power supply a direct cabe from the psu to the card the psu is a hiper type r series with indevidual cabels speed fan seems ok no warning etc?

[email protected] 21:54 14 Jan 2007

the lead i mean is the white square near the top left hand corner (about an inch in!!)
hope this helps, if you have it connected run berarc and post gpu temp bothclick here={b1649be0-6d3c-4271-93c9-399fa0d40a95}&CatID={d77ca2e9-df28-4044-8c6c-132afb9ff2fb} under load and normal

Totally-braindead 21:55 14 Jan 2007

If you look under control panel. system. hardware. device manager are there any exclamation marks? If you click on display adaptors what does it say?

Does the graphics card only have one power connector, only reason I ask that is I only found out tonight that some of the newer cards have two. Live and learn!

Do also check for the 4 pin connector adman 2 mentioned.

skidzy 21:56 14 Jan 2007

Just a thought,though i would think it should happen automatically...have you checked the onboard graphics have been disabled (if your board has onboard graphics) havnt looked at your board.

[email protected] 21:57 14 Jan 2007

did anyone spot the deliberate mistake there?
soory link doesnt work heres belarc (fingers crossed)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017