Need files and information from an old HDD

Newuser857 14:56 14 Feb 2003

Some time ago I replaced the hard drive on my computer with a bigger one and apart from transferring one or two programmes I did a clean install. I left the old drive as it was in a cupboard. A situation has now arisen and I need to use a lot of files from a previous employment that are on the old disk. I am not inclined to transfer them to my new drive. My old drive has windows 98 and my new one has Windows ME. Can I just link the old drive as slave to the new and dip into it ? If so, would that create any problems and how would I access the old drive?

Any help much appreciated.

pj123 15:05 14 Feb 2003

Yes, put your old drive in as a slave. You would need to get into the BIOS and make sure your PC recognises it. then save and exit. You should then see it in Windows Explorer or PowerDesk if you have it on your machine. The Disk drive letters should have changed to C your main boot drive D the old drive and E your CD Rom. All you need to do is then drag and drop the files you want to transfer. NOTE: you cannot drag and drop programmes. When you have finished what you want to do take the old disk out and reboot. go back into the BIOS and reset the slave to none and you should be back where you started from.

hillybilly 15:05 14 Feb 2003

hi newuser, first you need to install your old 98 drive as a slave drive in your new machine. When you reboot you find your old drive listed as either D or E drive in windows explorer. just click on itand open what ever data files you want. Remeber though that you cannot click on and use any programs that were installed on your 98 drive, you can only use programs that areinstalled on your Win ME drive.

seedie 15:07 14 Feb 2003

I you've got a spare bay for it screw it in, fit the data plug, red stripe to the power socket, fit the power plug.

Restart and go into bios and put primary slave as auto. Bob's your uncle. It'll probably show as d:

CD

stlucia 15:14 14 Feb 2003

You may not need to go into BIOS -- if you're lucky it will auto-detect the drives when you boot up.

Newuser857 15:27 14 Feb 2003

Many thanks to pj123, Hillbilly,Seedie and stlucia for a really helpful set of replies. I am obliged to you all.

Just on a general note I have to say that I have never been let down yet with my requests for help in this forum. It's a godsend. Keep up the good work all you computer buffs !!

pj123 20:54 18 Feb 2003

While this thread is still open, if you want to copy everything from one drive to another this is what you do.

To copy everything from one hard disk to another (ie. old to new).

Disconnect the OLD disk and connect the NEW disk as MASTER. Start the computer using a STARTUP disk. The STARTUP disk should have FORMAT and FDISK on it.

If you want to partition the new disk you should do so before formatting (using Fdisk) and then format each partition. Once the formatting has completed, switch off the computer and reconnect the OLD disk as MASTER and the NEW disk as SLAVE.

Boot the computer as normal and then go to START, RUN and type in:
xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: (and press enter). Make sure the spaces are in, between the *.* and between the c and d:.

When everything is finished, switch off the computer, remove the OLD disk and make the NEW disk MASTER and reboot.

Newuser857 22:38 18 Feb 2003

Thanks again to pj123. I have copied your advice and will probably use it for a new system which is in the offing. Thanks

pj123 22:54 19 Feb 2003

Just a point. If your new system (in the offing) is XP, the xcopy system won't work. You would need to stay with 98se or me.

DieSse 23:32 19 Feb 2003

There are problems with using xcopy to clone drives - you can lose data (because of the way long file names are handled) - we've had this discussion before on here. There are other, safer, ways to do drive cloning.

lisamaree 04:16 20 Feb 2003

When doing this I would unplug the cdrom drive and install the old drive on this set of cables. Boot the computer and make a folder on the c drive say called Oldbackup t5hen copy under windows the whole of the D drive to this folder. The reason for doing it this way.
No jumpers to change on either drive

No danger of damaging the boot drive with plugging cables in

Most modem computers use UDMA66 cables these are very stiff and don't like being moved around

Much cheaper to replace a damaged cdrom than a harddrive should this happen.

Regards

Lisa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017