need to factory reset computer

ady347 19:22 01 May 2009

hi, got windows xp, need to reset computer, before i do this how can i save emails i have so i dont lose them, and also i have some programs/drivers i dont want to have to reinstall etc... cani save them to disk or something.
computer has a virus cant seem to remove it, reset is my only option now.

DieSse 19:44 01 May 2009

"i have some programs/drivers i dont want to have to reinstall "

No - if you reformat and reinstall windows, you will need to reinstall all the programs and drivers that aren't in windows itself.

If you want to do a "factory restore" and your computer has the facility to do that, then that's a slightly different thing to simply re-installing windows - so what make model system do you have, and what restore or other system CDs do you have?

What do you use for emails? - yes you can save emails and data and address lists - but how you do so depends what program you are using for emails.

But before you do that - what virus do you have that can't be removed - that would be unusual - maybe we can help with that and save you the reinstall hassle.

MAJ 19:48 01 May 2009

Which email client are you using, Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.? Programs will need to be reinstalled from their original disks or downloaded exes. How many emails do you need to backup? If it's only a few, drag and drop them to a folder on your desktop ready for burning to CD.

ady347 19:55 01 May 2009

hi i have about 150 emails, i want to reset my computer as it needs it, believe me :-), i have the original packard bell disks 5 or 6 of, done a restore before ages and ages ago!, my outlook is express. i use avg which found viruses and couldnt remove them for some reason, dont know why. i think i also had one in my external hard drive (E) But tbh the computer is really slow and playing up a bit, so just want to reset it.

MAJ 20:17 01 May 2009

I usually just copy OE's Store Folder to CD, then when I reinstall the OS, go to the new OE and change the existing Store Folder to the one I have backed up.

MAJ 20:21 01 May 2009

I was going on to say that you should do full scans with Mbam click here and Superantispyware click here to see if thay can help with the virus problem and the slow operating problem.

ronalddonald 21:55 01 May 2009

this months pc advisor from asda or whsmith you find two discs on there. Theres a program called hijack not hijack this but hijack something, run that. Ive been having problems and mban and superantispyware cant find the problems. But this hijack program software should find them, its only around under a fiver worth it very much.

ronalddonald 22:09 01 May 2009

buy this months PCAdvisor magazine and look for hackcleaner program run that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?