Need to Export from OExpress help! ..

User-4CC88CE5-DA27-44EE-A0310A8D232498A3 17:19 07 Mar 2004

I have ordered a new PC and have the age-old problem of how to Export existing useful data off the old one.

I plan to copy valuable files to CD.

However - cannot seem to get the 'old' useful email messages from Outlook Express. It has an EXPORT option but insists an exporting to Outlook without any useful alternative to save to a file location I can choose (gee thanks Mr. Gates..)

Can anyone tell me if (& how of course) I can do it manually?

Any body who can help would have my undying gratitude. Hey, I may even add you to my address book for Christmas ;-)

JG

Gongoozler 17:30 07 Mar 2004

Hi jinjagoliath. The easy way is to go to Windows Explorer, search for files called *.dbx. When you find them you will find they are Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx etc, and Folders.dbx. Copy them all to a backup medium. Then in your new computer, find the *.dbx files and overwrite tham with your saved versions. The Folders.dbx file is important because it has the decoding information for the other files. While you are doing this, download Dbxtract from click here. This simple program doesn't get installed, it runs from the location you copy it to, and it extracts your e-mails from any location without them being imported into Outlook Express.

Valvegrid 17:31 07 Mar 2004

I do this myself, I usually open the email, click on file, then Save As, when the box opens you can save the .eml file wherever you like. if you make a new folder it can be added to the new machine. It's a bit laborious if you have a large number of messages though, in which case I think there maybe a quicker way, but I can't remember at the moment.

Zak 17:32 07 Mar 2004

Follow this link and it gives full details.

click here

Good luck.

Valvegrid 17:37 07 Mar 2004

Yes, you can do it, this tells you how:

click here

Valvegrid 17:37 07 Mar 2004

Too slow as usual :-(

Gongoozler 17:40 07 Mar 2004

Hi again jinjagoliath. Another tip that I hope you'll find useful. In Outlook Express click Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder. Then if you choose a location on another partition or drive you will always be able to find the email files easily. You can do the same thing in Internet Explorer for your Temporary Internet files, Tools - Internet Options - (Temporary Internet Files) - Settings - Move Folder.

Your favorites are in C:\Windows\Favorites. You can simply save the Favorites folder and overwrite the folder in your new computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?