Need to connect a new computer to a network.

toomuch 20:20 26 Jul 2008

Hello reader. I've just bought a new PC and i need to connect it to a network. The network was set-up by another person. I have a wireless card in my PC, and there are other computers in the home that are connected to the Netgear router. I don't know how to connect. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Michael.

ambra4 14:44 27 Jul 2008

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card Antenna

Check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

If not sure if laptop have a antenna switch check the manual PC layout quick guide

Check out these site before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

Once the Wireless router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect speed at 0Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

dawood 00:47 29 Jul 2008

You have to know the wireless setting (SSID, encryption, etc) of that wireless router first, then just configure your PC's wireless adapter to connect to that wireless network. Take a look on how to configure wireless adapter in XP click here and Vista click here here. Hope it helps..

ambra4 07:44 11 Aug 2008

Windows Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

IPv6, when it's rolled out across the Internet over the next few years, will bring an end to

the problem of running out of IP addresses and improve other aspects of TCP/IP

operation.

However you do not need IPv6 at present time disable IPv6 in the Windows Vista system.

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

mikesuther 16:29 11 Aug 2008

Hi if you have other machines connected to the internet then it should be straight forward to get your machine up and running. just out of curiosity did you ask the chap who set up your other computer for help? ou will need to ask him if he can remember the pass word he used for the encryption to the router. If you read the instruction book that came with the pc it will tell you how to switch on the wireless card, once activated it will automatically detect wireless networks in your area, if you see your network all you need to do is to click on the name of your network. you will then need to type in the pass word he used to connect to the router. If he has either lost or cannot remember the password it can be quite awkward.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?