Need to connect Hitachi Travelstar to PC motherboa

JohnDiver 12:12 19 Sep 2006

Hey,
I bought a lead to connect 2.5 laptop harddisks to a PC but it doesn't fit my harddisk and I need to get the data ASAP.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get the data from my type of harddisk please?

It is from a compaq laptop.

Thanks
John

Taff™ 12:16 19 Sep 2006

click here Always useful for old Laptop HDD`s. Use it as a back up drive.

JohnDiver 12:47 19 Sep 2006

Hey,

What exactly does that do? Do you put the laptop harddisk into it then connect it to the PC with USB?

Any reason why the 2.5 lead wouldn't connect to my harddisk?

Thanks
John

De Marcus™ 13:31 19 Sep 2006

"What exactly does that do? Do you put the laptop harddisk into it then connect it to the PC with USB?"

Yes.

"Any reason why the 2.5 lead wouldn't connect to my harddisk?"

Many, but we need to know which cable you bought, do you have a link?

JohnDiver 13:39 19 Sep 2006

Hey,

This is the cable I bought: click here

Thanks again
John

DieSse 14:58 19 Sep 2006

It looks OK in the picture.

You say it doesn't fit - in exactly what way doesn't it fit?

JohnDiver 15:10 19 Sep 2006

Hey,

I had a look and inside the laptop it looks like a small bit goes into a slit in the harddisk, but the lead looks like it is the same connection as on the laptop, like putting two of the same together instead of one fitting into the other.

Thanks

DieSse 15:20 19 Sep 2006

Normally both ends of the cable will be sockets, and the motherboard and drive should have plugs (ie pins). Are you saying yours is different? - the cable or the drive?

DieSse 15:31 19 Sep 2006

This is'nt a 1.8" drive by any chance? - these actually have a socket in the drive, and need a different adapter - or two adapters viz:

click here

DieSse 15:31 19 Sep 2006

This isn't a 1.8" drive by any chance? - these actually have a socket in the drive, and need a different adapter - or two adapters viz:

click here

Eric10 16:00 19 Sep 2006

Laptop hard drives usually fit inside a proprietary frame that uses its own connector to plug into the laptop. When you remove the hard drive from this frame you should find the standard 2.5" hard drive connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?