Need Case or PSU

Jimmyh 14:42 07 Mar 2006

Could any one please recomend either a case or psu from dabs, Ive been told I need a psu which gives 24 or more amps on the 12+v rail(s) with 1 vid card... 32 or more if I ever get Sli.

Dabs dont seem to list this information so can any one please help?

click here

Smiler 14:51 07 Mar 2006

Why from dabs?

You will need to go to the manufacturers of the units website to find out the figures you want.

Fingees 14:57 07 Mar 2006

12 x 24 is 288 watts, so a good quality 350 -400 watt PSU will do.

Purchase from a good computer store such as Novatech.

I would suggest a 400watt one.

all the best.

Smiler 14:59 07 Mar 2006

I have this one click here from PCWorld it has a total of 29A on two 12v rails £44.99 in store

But this one is more powerfull click here has a total of 33A on two rails. £49.99 in store

Jimmyh 15:07 07 Mar 2006

Well im getting all my other parts from dabs, so gonna kill two birds with one stone.

Jimmyh 15:28 07 Mar 2006

Do you have to double up the amps on both 12V rails to get the total?

ade.h 16:09 07 Mar 2006

I usually go for either Antec, Silentmaxx or Chieftec (my own build currently uses the latter). Basically, anything that is 1) very spacious 2) very high quality 3) comes without a bundled PSU. I say that because I don't see why I should pay for something that is immediately going to be supplanted by my own choice (either Silentmaxx or Q-Technology Gold Series).

Dabs doesn't stock Chieftec (pity) but does have Antec. The PSUs come from Quiet PC click here. Chieftec can be sourced from Overclock click here.

Smiler 17:06 07 Mar 2006

"Do you have to double up the amps on both 12V rails to get the total?"

No you add the two figures together

Fingees what about all the 5v items they need quite a bit of power too

Fingees 18:50 07 Mar 2006

Smiler.

Yes agreed, but the Question started with the required power required for the 12 v supply.

even if the 5v rail took the same current, the power would be less than 1/2 the 12v rail.Usually it is far less.

Hence I made a calculated guess, in suggesting what I did.

All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?