Need advice for a new power laptop

Frosty120 20:48 21 Aug 2009

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice!

I'm leaving work in September to study a postgraduate diploma in Architecture. I'm planning on making use of the student discounts to tool up so that I'm ready to hit the course with a fully up to date high spec computer.

I'd much prefer a desktop for my requirements, but as I'm buying it for University, I need to be able to use it in the studio and then take it home on the train each night!

I mainly need to run AutoCAD Architecture 2010, 3DS Max 9, Google Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premier.

So I need a brilliant graphics card, a good processor and decent amount of RAM.

I'm also looking for something I can rely on and that is fairly robust.

I've saved up for this and I'm prepared to spend about £1500, but I don't want to be disappointed, and I can't afford to make a bad decision!

I've got a couple of friends who are into Macs, and the new Macbook Pro does look brilliant in terms of design and capabilities, it seems to be a fairly stable platform and very capable.

However, with the exception of Adobe, the software I'm mainly planning on running (AutoCAD and 3DS Max) is Windows based, I've heard a lot about running vista and 7 on a Mac and that it's 'way fast' and all the rest, but I really can't afford to make a bad move here, and I need to know that my software will work well with the graphics card.

On the side, I'll also be spending a lot of money on software, if I get a Mac, I then have the dilemma of getting Adobe for OSX or Windows, if I get it for Windows, I can run it on my existing desktop at home as well, but if I had a Mac, I'd surely be better getting the Mac version?

I'm really torn! None of my Mac loving friends actually run Windows, so while they all say, 'it works great', they can't prove it, and I'm not just going to be using this thing to play solitaire!!!

So anyone got any wisdom? Any leads on PC's that would meet my criteria?

Thanks in Advance!

Frosty

Frosty120 17:07 26 Jan 2011

Following that overwhelming response :)

If anyone else is asking the same question, I went for a Sony VAIO F12, with an i7 740, 8gb of RAM, an Nvida 330M graphics card and a 500gb hard drive. I even got a free blu-ray writter!

I'm delighted with it and would recommend it (though the F13 is now out with USB 3.0 and next month we should see the F14 with a 3D display.

But this is a brilliant computer, and for the spec, a very competitive price.

Delighted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?