Need advice on building my new PC.

Casey182 15:40 12 Jul 2006

This is my first time building a computer and need some advice. I've done a lot of background reading but theres only so much i can read and would like some human input, and maybe some first hand experience.

This is the spec that I want to build:

- Amd 64 4000 (2.4ghz) £115
- Abit AN8 32x NF4 SLi £115
- 300Gb Maxtor 6V300F0 DiamondMax £62.50
- Phillips Lightscribe DVD-RW £48.46
- Hiper Typer R PSU 580w
- xfx Geforce 7900GT Extreme edition

I already have the graphics card and PSU but the psu annoys me slightly by the sound and will want to change it one day so any tips will be great. I also already have the other peripherals, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers.

Im mainly looking for advice on the processor and motherboard. The motherboard has to be SLi compatible for future upgrades.

Whether it would be worth looking at AMD2 so i could have DDR2. I know that the RAM is faster but will it be noticable?

Also would it be worth looking into a hard drive that runs at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm?

And most importantly how will it fair at games? will it survive for a couple of years at a high quality, or will it be drop quite quickly? i know technology moves so fast its hard to stay at the top.

Any tips at all will be appreciated, but i am looking to keep it around the same price range, but i will consider some price increases.

vinnyT 11:23 13 Jul 2006

Im mainly looking for advice on the processor and motherboard. The motherboard has to be SLi compatible for future upgrades. The mobo and cpu are fine, however, if you are thinking of overclocking (now, or in the future) then take a look at the dfi lanparty range of mobos. Buy a seperate hsf for the cpu (if you can buy the cpu as oem) Artic cooling freezer 64 pro (about £17-18) are best, and will cool the cpu to well below the stock hsf, will also be quieter.

Whether it would be worth looking at AMD2 so i could have DDR2. I know that the RAM is faster but will it be noticable? At the mo am2 is actually slower than x64 cpus.

Also would it be worth looking into a hard drive that runs at 10,000rpm instead of 7200rpm? Louder and push out more heat, way too expensive considering the difference.

And most importantly how will it fair at games? will it survive for a couple of years at a high quality, or will it be drop quite quickly? i know technology moves so fast its hard to stay at the top. It'll be great for gaming, as for how long it will remain this way, can't really answer as depends on a number of variables.

PSU upgrading can't get better than Seasonic range.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone