Need advice on backup solution for network.

guy3744 00:46 29 Oct 2013
Answered

Our home network is becoming more complex, and I a looking for advice about creating a backup solution. The desktop PC runs Windows 7 - it has 3 x 1TB hard drives (C: = OS, general household stuff and and my work data, F: = photos; G: = music, iTunes etc). There is also an external 5TB hard drive and each week Paragon Backup software does an incremental backup of those 3 drives and every month creates a new image of all 3 (that takes a long time - sometimes 24 hrs now). But it is all working fine and I have a good automated backup system working.

I also have a laptop (which I use for work) and use dropbox for moving work stuff between PC and laptop. The laptop gets backed up occasionally to a small ext hard drive.

My wife and daughter have purchased Macs. My wife works with photographs (hers and her clients - and the amount of data on mac growing fast) my daughter is at college. At the moment I am backing them both up separately to another external hard drive, but will soon need another drive to back-up to as the one I am using is now not large enough. I know that they are cheap as chips now, but i'm sure there is an integrated solution.

Ideally I would want to get the whole lot networked together (that's the first issue as I cannot seem to get the PC to see and read/write to the macs consistently and vice-versa) and want to try to automate the whole back-up process so it becomes as easy as the desktop is now.

I'll spend a bit of money on decent software (or hardware) if necessary, but want to develop an idiot proof system, now that there are 2 businesses and a years worth of uni work being held across 4 devices.

Cheers - thanks in advance for any advice!

guy3744 00:43 30 Oct 2013

Thanks, I did think about the cloud, but data allowances, bandwidth and speed are an issue here (we're in Australia), so I think a local solution is the best option.

LastChip 12:22 30 Oct 2013

Try a search for a NAS (network attached storage) solution.

With the amount of data you now have (which is likely to grow), you probably need a local NAS server and integrated automatic incremental backup. For a higher safety level, you probably won't get away without an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) either - APC are very good and integrate with Linux as well as Windows.

It may well be Linux based, but that's not a problem as both Windows and MAC's can connect.

guy3744 09:43 21 Nov 2013

Thanks LastChip. We now have a NAS drive and it his is working really well. I didn't know about this before so appreciate your help. Cheers, guy

LastChip 12:55 21 Nov 2013
Answer

Glad to be of help.

Please consider ticking the tread as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?