Need advice about broadband speeds please!

sea_86 20:42 29 Oct 2008

We currently have talktalk broadband which gives us up to 8mb broadband. My dad has done the broadband speed test online and we only get an average of 0.8mb download speed.
Ive read that the speed you get is down to the telephone exchange and wiring etc. My dad's convinced that its down to talktalk and if we switch to another provider we can get higher speeds.
From what ive read it seems that the provider cannot control what speed you get so after going through the hassle of switching and changing email addresses etc we might still only get the same speed.
Any chance that somebody could clear this up and clarify whether the speed will be better with a different provider??
I'm not too good on all the technical jargon so an easy to understand answer would be appreciated!!!

Stuartli 20:53 29 Oct 2008

I'm surprised at your low speed - I get up to 7.2MB and average around 6.7MB with TalkTalk.

If you have a BT NET5 Master Socket, take the front bottom section off and try your BB connection direct from the phone socket which will be revealed.

If there is little difference it will be worth taking the matter up with TalkTalk as it clearly has LLU equipment in your exchange (BT is responsible for the line from the exchange to your Master Socket and TT will request BT investigates).

TT may/will also be able to make its own checks on your line; contact them on 0870 444 1820 (calls free for TT subscribers).

Sheik Yerbouti 20:53 29 Oct 2008

Check your postcode as to how far from the BT exchange you are.

AL47 21:26 29 Oct 2008

my max is 0.5mbps

or 60-90KBps in numbers that i use on my monitoring thing

i m also with talk talk, but have been with another, its identical cause of the bt line, cant get any better

Technotiger 21:36 29 Oct 2008

Maybe this would make a difference to your speeds click here it certainly did to mine.

Stuartli 00:26 30 Oct 2008

Some advice about BT's iPlate:

click here

and the other well known potential remedy:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?