Need a 98SE boot floppy

TommyRed 19:35 11 Jun 2005

Just got my old 98SE back from Uni with the daughter, of course it's not working. Long story but no disks with it when we got it, I did take an image but it won't read the media, possible poor quality (I thought TDK were good quality). Anyhows now it won't boot so which is a good site to get one? TIA TR

De Marcus 19:37 11 Jun 2005
  leo49 19:37 11 Jun 2005
  TommyRed 20:11 11 Jun 2005

Thanks guys, having never had to use a boot disk before I'm a bit wary of what to do. I created one chose the option without CD-ROM support, as I don't have a disk, then it gave an A prompt which I've changed to C:\ what next? TR

De Marcus 20:13 11 Jun 2005

Depends on what you want to do?

VoG II 20:16 11 Jun 2005

At the A:\> prompt type

format C:

Assuming of course that you want to wipe the drive. Have you backed-up her documents, e-mails etc. first?

De Marcus 20:20 11 Jun 2005

Depending on what you want to do there's a full list of commands here click here

TommyRed 20:26 11 Jun 2005

What I want to do seeing as the image won't work is try and uninstall AVG which appears to be causing the problem. If I can't sort it it'll have to go into a shop to be sorted but I could do without the expense just before my holiday, so I'll give anything a go, all documents have been backed up and she expects it to be formatted in the shop if need be. TR

De Marcus 20:29 11 Jun 2005

Have you tried safe mode?

De Marcus 20:31 11 Jun 2005

Starting Windows 98 in Safe Mode

Method 1

Start or restart your computer.
While your computer is booting up, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
Select the Safe Mode menu option (usually no.3) from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 2

Close all open programs.
Click Start, Programs, Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
Click on Advanced, and then click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 3

Close all open programs.
Click Start and then click Run. In the Run dialog box, type the word "msconfig" but without the quotation marks. Click OK.
When the System Configuration Utility box appears, click Advanced.
The Advanced Troubleshooting Settings box appears. Click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
Click OK, click OK again, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
The computer will start in Safe Mode.

VoG II 20:31 11 Jun 2005

Seconded click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?