Need 1 gig free web space for an hour.

shytilwet23 14:53 05 Jun 2003

Lol, doubt that this is even possible. The thing is, I need to reformat desperately but I have no way of backing up stuff that I want to keep, except to floppies. :( I have about a gig of files that I need to keep and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or knows of somewhere online that I could transfer them to for a couple of hours. Well, thought it was worth a try. Thanks.

fitshase 14:57 05 Jun 2003

You could try here.

click here

don't know about the cost and it'll probably take you a week to upload the stuff (I hope you're on broadband!!!!).

Regards

Fitshase

Gaz 25 16:14 05 Jun 2003

Buy a CD-RW.

fitfella29 16:54 05 Jun 2003

better still get a dvd drive,lots of room on a 4gb disc.

shytilwet23 17:31 05 Jun 2003

Can't afford......need a free way of doing it. :(

Just take your hard drive over to a friend who has a PC with a CD-RW drive or ask them if you could copy your files to their PC and then format and copy them back. It's easy. Just plug the IDE cable into your hard drive and reboot.

Gaz 25 18:44 05 Jun 2003

Great idea, if you have a mate with a PC?

The only other thing would be a reapir show to back-up your HDD.

fitfella29 18:57 05 Jun 2003

partition your hard drive and store what u want in there then reformat?

shytilwet23 02:14 06 Jun 2003

A couple of ideas there that might work for me.......Would I have to buy an IDE cable?
And, fitfella, I'm using Win95........don't know if I can partition or even if I have enough room left on hd. to do that. Out of my 2 gig hd (yeah, I know....) I have about 100 mb space free.
Was wondering about using Drivespace???????

Mango Grummit 02:21 06 Jun 2003

If you're files are not too big you could mail them to yourself.

rabadubdub 02:38 06 Jun 2003

...seems best idea. IDE cables have two connections for drives so use other one if nothing on it. Shouldn't be a big problem even if a CDROM or whatever needs removing then reconnecting after. If you do do that, don't forget to set the jumpers to 'Slave' then back to 'Master' when you reinstall it on your own machine.
If he's a reeally good mate, he might even let you take his CDRW home with you for the night to do your own backup disks.
Unlikely you could compress enough to free up required space to partition and juggle. Depends on the data and how much it can be safely compressed. Someone else may know more about compression and Zips, etc.

Regards, Rab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?