ndiswan problem

Chrisward 14:52 04 Dec 2003

I have been trying to get on to broadband for the last two weeks.

My system is Millenium Edition and my ISP has provided me with a BT Voyager modem, However when I try to install this on my computer it seems to go so far, and then display the message that "BT Voyager must have ndiswan installed."

I have checked and found that ndiswan ( whatever that is) seems to be installed. At this stage I am unable to uninstall the software and the only way to get rid of it is to do a system restore.

My ISP ( Advance) is baffled and says that the problem is in my computer and I will have this problem with any other modem. BT helpline is really not at all helpful, and says much the same as Advance

Has anyone encountered this problem and how was it overcome?

If anyone is able to help could they please keep it very simple, as I only have a limited knowedge of computer jargon.

Many thanks,

Chris Ward

Lozzy 14:58 04 Dec 2003

click here this should help

Stuartli 17:39 04 Dec 2003

If you run SFC (Start>RUN>(type) sfc >OK, it should find whether the file is present and if it is corrupted. You will then be able to replace the file.

woodchip 17:52 04 Dec 2003

It should be in the INF folder it's for transport of drivers for ISDN

woodchip 17:55 04 Dec 2003

I am Win98 but it will be the same file if you want it E-Mail me and then just put it in the INF folder in Explorer\Windows\INF

Stuartli 18:00 04 Dec 2003

In my Windows98SE days I occasionally had an Ndiswan error code on bootup - using SFC cured it and I gathered it was something to do with video output as it ends with .vxd

woodchip 21:31 04 Dec 2003

.vxd means it act's like a driver. I can confirm it is for the above. SFC is not incorporated into WinME they have system Recover that never work's or very rarely works

Stuartli 09:08 05 Dec 2003

Link for .vxd virtual drivers:

click here

woodchip 11:51 05 Dec 2003

It's a Windows File on the Windows CD but I do not know how you extract it of a WinME disc. You could use PowerDesk Free Extract program click here just double click on cab files on the WinME CD when you have loaded PowerDesk to see what files are in the Cab File the extract the file and put it in the INF folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?