a nasty one

Kate B 11:19 21 May 2004

just had this alarmingly convincing-looking email delivered to my quarantined area by our fortunately well-managed corporate virus detector:

To: (my email address)
Subject: Re: Submit a Virus Sample

The sample file you sent contains a new virus version of mydoom.j.
Please clean your system with the attached signature.

Sincerly,
Robert Ferrew

those script kiddies are little horrors.

Smegs 11:30 21 May 2004

Kate B, are you telling us, this email has a VIRUS? Did you send a virus to Symantec and they have replied? Haven't quite got what you are telling us, sorry. If it was a virus, have you sent it to Symantec?

Graham ® 11:39 21 May 2004

It's one of those spoof messages to trick you into opening an attachment.

Kate B 11:51 21 May 2004

Graham's right, it was a spoof one - a particularly nasty one that I suspect will catch people out.

end 12:20 21 May 2004

but surely you would KNOW that you HAD sent a messsage TO the company??? or does Norton "do it automatically".....

Kate B 12:31 21 May 2004

end, you're missing the point - I hadn't sent a message to Symantec, this, I think, is a spoof email from someone completely different. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I hadn't emailed Symantec - I don't waste my time doing pointless things!

Belatucadrus 12:32 21 May 2004

I just received one supposedly from BTConnect.com confirming that my password change had been successful, It came loaded with genuine links to BTConnect and a message claiming that it was certified virus free by Lineone. Only it wasn't addressed to me, I don't use BTconnect and Tiscali haven't yet got AV on the standard mail package. Avast confirmed the attachement was virus laden and then I deleted it.
Moral; never trust messages in e-mails saying they are safe. Even if generated by a genuine AV package, check the signature dates, anything over a week old is pretty irrelevant.

Smegs 12:41 21 May 2004

Graham ®, Kate B Thankyou.

end 16:21 21 May 2004

I think my "point" IS that you would know if you HAD sent an email to ANYONE; therfore would hopefully know when "spoof" ones arrive.....( I hope!!) ( one can never be "too careful, can one???!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone