Nasty Bit of stuff

theearlofsabden 00:02 14 Mar 2009

Hi there

I have an Esee PC, a few days back a flashing advert installed itself on the desktop telling me I have tons of viruses..... I know this is not telling the truth, but none of my antivirus/malware/spyware programmes will now run, they are all installed correctly, I have even installed extra anti-spyware programes to try and get rid of this, no problem installing any programe, but when I try and run a scan anti-virus or malware/spyeware it seems to get blocked.

I discovered that the flashing advert/banner that was on the desktop was installed as a screen saver.

I also found in msconfig an entry called "ahtn" this is what the screen saver is called, so I removed this entry from msconfig, I chose another screen saver, followed the entry in msconfig to the folder (system32) that "ahtn" pointed to and deleted that too..... But still no anti-virus/spyware etc will open or run on the PC.

Any ideas?

Regards
Neil.

brundle 00:08 14 Mar 2009

Try Superantispyware or Malwarebytes Antimalware; click here

Install and update, then reboot in Safe Mode (hit F8 a few times before you see the Windows logo) then run a full scan and delete anything it finds.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:28 14 Mar 2009

Malwarebytes will fix this particular problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires