NAS Drives in VISTA

Bronica 19:41 13 Aug 2007

Has anybody managed to set up a NAS drive and been able to access with a Vista PC. I have looked at the Western Digital site and while the spec says Windows XP there is a post in their knowledge base which says their My book World Edition will work with Vista.

The Buffalo site sugests changes need to be made to the Vista PC settings for it to work with their NAS drives. I would appreciate comments from anybody wwho has managed to get this setup to work.

SANTOS7 20:07 13 Aug 2007

click here
thread suggests it will work with vista/Mac/Linux.

Bronica 20:13 13 Aug 2007

That looks like it might work I have been looking for a complete system with a web interface but I guess I could buy the enclosure and add my own drives.
The advantage of the WD was the raid configuration.

FreeCell 20:39 13 Aug 2007

Thye Buffalo Linkstation product sheet says it works with Vista. click here

Is there experience out there that says that there is more to getting one of these devices to work with Vista? Just recommended one of these to a potential Vista user.

I have successfully connected a Vista machine to a LinkSys NetStorage Link (NSL2) without any changes to the O/S settings.

Bronica 20:56 13 Aug 2007

That looks good I think may be it is the advanced features that may not be vista compatible.

My concern looking at the website is that Vista uses NTML2 by default and tha Buffalo drives use NTML and suggest you need to patch the PC to make it work.

Kate B 23:12 13 Aug 2007

I'm using a LaCie NAS drive which both my Vista PC and my iBook can write to. I'm really pleased with it.

Bronica 18:17 17 Aug 2007

Thanks for that I will have a look at the Lacie NAS drives as well then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?