NAS

CSSW 19:21 25 Jan 2014

Hello, I want to have a couple of PCs/laptop, potentially working on the same files for a small office. Background: I'm moving my home office to an out building. In the out building will be a terminal for the part time secretary (2days a week) & 1 for myself used randomly but potentially for 50% of the working day. I would like to have 2 monitors for myself, but I would also like the option to work from original home office, is a laptop an option here - will it take 2 monitors. The two buildings are connected with CAT6 & are 30m apart. I have been informed that I need A NAS, & have a relative who is good with computers that is going to help, but I want to know what it does what & how in simple terms, I have an enquiring mind & repair boilers for a living, but never bothered with computers until now. Would a Synology DiskStation DS212 with 2No Seagate 2TB SATA III Performance HDD ST2000DM001 7200rpm 64MB Cache 7200rpm SATA II Compatible work, would this copy what is on the first drive then replicate it onto the other (this what I’m aiming for) Thanks

LastChip 22:09 25 Jan 2014

NAS = Network Attached Storage.

In a nutshell, it's a computer specifically designed to store data, whether it be files, video, audio or whatever. In other words, it's a file server.

I think what you're referring to, is to have two hard drives that are identical to each other. So one becomes a backup for the other. This is known as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Some NAS servers are more sophisticated than others and allow hot swapping and the like. This means if a hard drive fails, you can replace that drive without shutting the server down. The cheaper consumer level devices are not likely to offer that level of sophistication. But at the end of the day, it comes down to what level of uptime you need. For most small businesses, shutting down for 15 minutes to change a drive, is not a show stopper.

You would configure your normal computers to save and access files on the NAS server.

CSSW 00:08 26 Jan 2014

Thanks for this, the RAID 1 mirrored, does it happen automatically when you fit 2 drives? Would the gear I've been looking at be suitable for this.

Down time is not a major issue so no need for anything too fancy. CSSW

LastChip 21:05 26 Jan 2014

I can't find much about the DS212 as it's discontinued, however, it seems Synology products come with their own manager, which allows you to use various RAID configurations. With only two hard drives, you will be limited to RAID 0 or 1.

I suggest you don't use RAID 0, as a loss of a single drives will result in the loss of all your data. RAID 1 however, will make the two hard drives mirror images of each other.

You'd do well to go to their site and study their knowledge base, which covers all of this and more, in much more detail and complete with graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?