nachi worm - -what does it do, and how do you get

TBH1 23:29 18 Dec 2003

recently had need to restore a friends system, xp home - - then straight away, got that virus which closes your PC, blaster I think it was called. Got rid of that, got the patch installed, downloaded AVG6 and on first scan with this it found the nachi worm - - worse, it stated that it could not get rid of it. Made sure 'restore' thingy was switched off and ran again - - same results. Ran stinger, this found it and appeared to delete it. Ran AVG6 again - - - this again found it and couldn't delete it.
Whats going on here ? And what does this virus do, at the minute it doesn't appear to be harming her system - - -in fact if it wasn't for AVG reporting it, she wouldn't know she had got it.

MAJ 23:31 18 Dec 2003

Where does AVG report that the virus is, TBH1?

MAJ 23:34 18 Dec 2003

And have you tried the removal tool from Symantec? click here

Jester2K II 23:44 18 Dec 2003

Is it being found in the c:\_restore\system information folder?

TBH1 23:45 18 Dec 2003

thanks for this quick reply - -I think it was in the windows system files, some kind of dll.exe I think - -sorry I'm so vague, wrote most of this down and went a left me notes over there. As for the tool thingy, I have only used the stinger one, thought that was the dogd proverbials

Jester2K II 23:51 18 Dec 2003

Make sure System Restore is OFF

Boot into Safe Mode and scan with AVG again.

Reboot and switch SR back on.

Jester2K II 23:53 18 Dec 2003

Also Stinger only covers the top 30 or so viruses.

MAJ 23:56 18 Dec 2003

That removal tool is specifically designed for that virus, follow the instructions at that link I posted and it should get rid of it for you.

TBH1 00:11 19 Dec 2003

thanks both - - -she is insisting that system restore is OFF. Got her to try running AVG in safe mode earlier on and some kind of driver was missing so couldn't be done (really am vague ain't I ??)
And one of these days I'm gonna put a thread on here at a respectable time !!!

Have just emailed her that tool suggested by MAJ and will bell her in the morning and ask her to run it

plankton 10:54 19 Dec 2003

You'd better get round there again, with the SP1 I know you've now got, and stop her doing any more harm! You can finish their shower while yer at it....;o))

go to trend micro & use there online facility for virus repair/destruction It really does work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?