N150 modem router and powerplugs connection speed

pookie 14:18 21 Jul 2012

Hi,

Windows 7 home edition with sp1.

I have a N150 modem router and from it I use wireless for laptops but also cabled powerplugs to my main pc. The powerplugs are 200Mbps units. In the powerplug utilty it shows the connection between the pc powerplug and the one connected to the modem router is running at 195mbps. How can that be possible if I only have a N150 modem router?

Thanks

pookie 14:30 21 Jul 2012

Also, for info, my broadband is about 5.5Mb actual speed if that matters

pookie 14:13 29 Jul 2012

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:22 29 Jul 2012

The n150 refers to the wireless connection speed not the wired connection speed.

pookie 14:58 29 Jul 2012

I didn't know that! Thanks.

So if I change my 200Mbs cabled powerplugs to 500Mbs powerplugs will I notice any difference to the powerplug cabled computer or will my 4-5Mb broadband speed be a limiting factor?

Secret-Squirrel 16:08 29 Jul 2012

Any system is only as fast as it's slowest component, so you've answered your own question Pookie, you won't see any difference in download speeds because of the speed of your broadband connection.

The next slowest component is your Netgear's Ethernet interface which runs at a maximum speed of 100mbps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 29 Jul 2012

The limit will be set by whatever your ethernet controllers will handle i.e. the lowest of either the controller in the router or the one in your PC /laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 29 Jul 2012

A 10/100 Ethernet port supports two speeds: 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps.

A 10/100/1000 port also includes Gigabit Ethernet at 1 Gbps (1,000 megabits).

Modern devices have at least 10/100 and very likely 10/100/1000 connections.

Devices negotiate to transmit at the highest speed possible.

Therefore if your machine is a few years old you may not be getting a max of more than 100 through your cables.

pookie 16:52 29 Jul 2012

Thanks. I have a feeling mine supports up to 100Mb on ethernet slot. Can I buy a 1Gb ethernet card to slot into motherboard?

Secret-Squirrel 17:13 29 Jul 2012

"I have a feeling mine supports up to 100Mb on ethernet slot. Can I buy a 1Gb ethernet card to slot into motherboard?"

Yes you could, but remember what I said in my previous post, your router supports a maximum speed of 100mbps so you'd need to buy a gigabit router as well. After doing that, your Internet speeds will remain at the same 4-5mbps.

Perhaps it would help if you told us what you're trying to achieve. Are you perhaps wanting to stream high-definition video across your home network?

"In the powerplug utilty it shows the connection between the pc powerplug and the one connected to the modem router is running at 195mbps"

That tells you that the homeplug-to-homeplug connection can operate at a maximum of 195mbps. It doesn't mean that your Internet or other parts of your network are operating at that speed too.

Hope that helps.

pookie 20:10 30 Jul 2012

Thanks for all your replies. From your comments to notice real change in my broadband speed the main thing would be to up my broadband speed package, upgrade ethernet slot, router (if new broadband package doesn't provide one) and homeplugs. But to make all those changes and the cost for my use needs is not practical. My main use is some video work and video clips and sounds from Youtube. My isp provider is bringing fibreoptic to my area in October which they say is a 36Mb download speed line although on my line they reckon it'll be max 21Mb. But still better than my 4-5 I get at the moment. I may review my router etc then as kids are getting older so their internet needs may get more demanding

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?