N0 power. What happened?

Catastrophe 07:04 16 Aug 2006

I added a PCI and noticed that another PCI was not screwed in, so I fixed it.

I rebooted, well tried, but there was no power whatsoever. No mobo light. Nothing.

Eventually I decided to remove both PCI in question. On removing the PCI that was already present, but not seated firmly SUDDENLY all the power was back and everything worked perfectly.

What on earth happened to cut the power. A PCI not seated properly?

I really would like to know (and hopefully others too) so we don't dash off buying new PSU and/or mobos.

Catastrophe 07:17 16 Aug 2006

I should add that I do not usually do anything with power on but, having pulled the lead and pushed the button so many times with nothing happening (totally NOTHING), I had lost track of whether it was 'on' or 'off'.

Gongoozler 08:10 16 Aug 2006

Are you saying that one of your PCI cards causes the computer to not start or shut down? If so, then for some reason that card is bust. The power supply is controlled from the motherboard, so I think it's quite possible for a PCI card to prevent switch on.

Catastrophe 08:22 16 Aug 2006

"Are you saying that one of your PCI cards causes the computer to not start or shut down?"

Maybe.

"If so, then for some reason that card is bust."

No it isn't. I just replaced the card, without screwing it down, and all is fine.

"I added a PCI and noticed that another PCI was not screwed in, so I fixed it."

Apparently when I fixed it (screwed in the card mount) it levered the card out of the socket at the far side so the contacts were clearly visible.

Catastrophe 08:40 16 Aug 2006

"I think it's quite possible for a PCI card to prevent switch on."

You must be right. But just unseated not bust.

I wonder how many have dashed off to buy new PSU and/or mobos because a card was unseated?

I will tick this as solved.

;)

vinnyT 14:20 16 Aug 2006

It's poss. that with the card fully screwed in, it was causing the mobo (even just the tiniest part of it) to shortout by the small blobs (tech term) touching the bare metal of the case behind it.

Hope this helps.

Terry Brown 14:29 16 Aug 2006

I had a problem like that with a creative card, the only way the PCI would work is if I put a washer under the screw down plate, so it did not quite go all the way down (raised approx 1mm), I put it down to either a minor fault with the motherboard or the PCI card, however it worked and that was the main thing.
Terry

Catastrophe 10:53 17 Aug 2006

Many thanks for the information. At least the PC is working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?