N & G Wireless can I use two routers?

master archer 13:44 05 Apr 2008

Hi

My new Laptop has an N wireless card built in so I bought the Linksys N Router, unfortunatley my wife and my son are still on G Wireless so my new router is on MIXED so I am not seeing any benefit of the N wireless.
Someone said that I could plug my old Linsys router into one of the ports on my new router for the G Wireless and set my new router to use N only.
Does anyone know if this will work and if so how it would have to be stup?
Thanks for any help

Ashrich 19:56 05 Apr 2008

What benefit did you expect to see , apart from file transfers between 2 PC's ?

Ashley

master archer 20:53 05 Apr 2008

I thought by having a G only router and a N only router that I would see N performance from my N enabled Laptop and G performance from the other two laptops.

Ashrich 23:52 05 Apr 2008

You'll only get " N " performance from either 2 PC's ( N enabled ) sharing info over an N network , or something like media streaming ( HD ) from a Gigabit server , simple internet access will only run at the download speed it can run at , a faster network won't make any difference . As for distance , personally I don't think there is much in it comparing Wireless G+ Mimo technology versus Wireless N , although it is better than B and G without any enhancements . So , in a nutshell , keep the set up you have got , adding another wireless router would probably cause interference due to close proximity channel bleed .
At least you are future proofed having at least some of your kit running on 802.11n , in time the other laptops in the house will need to be upgraded and they almost certainly will have the new standard ( when it is finally ratified ! )

Ashley

master archer 10:23 06 Apr 2008

Thanks for the reply.
The other two laptops are plain G's
I have a 20 meg connection which when connected direct to the broadband modem I get 17 meg on a good day, when I am wireless two floors down I get 4.5 meg connection, when I spoke to a friend who has the same connection two roads away, his N only Router gives him twice the coverage and his average connection is about 8 meg, which I would be happy to get.
I thought the N router and Laptop should at least give me a better coverage and atleast 6-8meg connection.

Ashrich 22:06 06 Apr 2008

Then I would suggest that you run ethernet to the room with the G router ( if the phone socket you use is nearest to your N router ) and give the router a different name to the other one , and try putting them at completely channels ( as far apart as possible ) and see how it goes , a 20 mb/s internet connection is something you HAVE to get the best from !!! , also , try letting just one router give out an IP address , so that would mean turning off DHCP on the G router and connecting them via port 1 on the N to port 1 on the G , so the G router just acts as an access point .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?